Vineyard icemen keel-haul Whalers, lose to Sandwich

Brian Hurley cleared the puck away from an onrushing Nantucket Whaler, Friday night at the MV Arena. — Photo by Ralph Stewart

The Vineyard boys varsity hockey team closed out 2011 with mixed results.

New Year’s Eve at the John Gallo Arena in Bourne, the Islanders failed to secure a 2-1 lead and lost to Sandwich, 4-2.

The Blue Knights scored three unanswered goals in the third period, two on power plays, to drop M.V. to 4-2 on the season. Sandwich is 2-4.

Max Davies put the Vineyarders on the board in the first period and Tyson Araujo gave M.V. a 2-1 lead, 13 seconds into the second period.

Saturday’s lackluster performance followed on the heels of the Vineyarders’ 10-2 thrashing of the Nantucket Whalers Friday night at the M.V. Arena.

Brian Fraser started the Purple scoring just two minutes after the puck was dropped with help from Tyson Araujo and Nelson Dickson.

Five minutes later Sam Burke made it 2-0 assisted by Fraser and Araujo.

Before the period was over Colby Gouldrup scored unassisted.

Mike Howard put the Whalers on the board, unassisted, at 10:43.

After one period it was 3-1, Vineyard.

The second period was like the first. Two Vineyard goals were scored by Noah Stobie, both assisted by Tyler Araujo and Colby Gouldrup and by Tyler Araujo aided and abetted by Goldrup and Stobie.

Mike Howard scored his and Nantucket’s second goal.

The third period witnessed four more Vineyard markers by Fraser, Max Davies, Bobby Perry, and Tyson Araujo. Collecting assists were Tyson Araujo (2), Burke, Gouldrup, and Stobie.

The game was all but free of penalties. Only three were whistled, two by the Vineyard, one by Nantucket, all in the third period.

The Vineyarders took 48 shots on goal to the Whalers 17. Mike Sylvia was the M.V. netminder. Christian Lombardi was the busy Nantucket goalie.

The Purple and White began their Eastern Athletic Conference schedule Wednesday night in Raynham against Coyle and Cassidy of Taunton.