Valentine’s Day is coming up, and instead of the usual box of chocolates (which, unless it’s Chilmark Chocolates, is highly unoriginal), why not surprise your chocolate-loving significant other with a tour around the Island for some of the best chocolate desserts? This list is far from complete, but they are desserts I will always remember. Granted, a couple of the items listed are seasonal to the spring/summer, but I believe that makes them extra special. You can stretch out Valentine’s Day for a few more months. Happy chocolate lover’s day!
- Blackout Cake from Black Dog Bakery This is Black Dog’s most-requested cake, and after your first bite, you’ll understand why. A dense chocolate cake layered with thick, rich chocolate fudge and a honey-flavored chocolate frosting, this cake is then covered in cubes of chocolate cake and dusted with powdered sugar. If you are a true chocolate lover, this cake is for you. It’s also available by the slice at the bakery, making it the best midweek treat.
Raw Chocolate “Cheesecake” from Isola’s Healthy Habit This past summer, Isola’s Healthy Habit came out with these raw, dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free “cheesecakes.” It took me awhile to order one, because I’m not one with dietary restrictions. But shame on me for judging a chocolate dessert by its ingredients! Their chocolate “cheesecake” (and I say “cheesecake” because it’s not made with cheese, but the texture is comparable) is hard to beat. Smooth, rich, raw cacao paired with creamy coconut milk on a nut-based crust — it’s what dreams are made off. I’ll be the first in line when they reopen in May.
- Molten Chocolate Cake from Atria A classic such as a molten chocolate cake can’t be left off the list. While other places make delicious versions (Martha’s Vineyard Chowder Co., for example), I’m addicted to Atria’s. Served with espresso ice cream, it’s the perfect balance of sweet chocolate and a hint of bitterness from the espresso beans. Plus, nothing says “match made in heaven” more than chocolate and coffee.
- Cheesecake Brownies from Rosewater Market One of my favorite winter activities isn’t much of an “activity,” but more of a treat. Midafternoon is the perfect time to stop by Rosewater Market in Edgartown and order a large brewed Chilmark Coffee along with one of their cheesecake brownies: fluffy cheesecake batter sunk into a rich and decadent chocolate brownie base. Meet me at Rosewater for a treat this week?
- Brownie Ice Cream Sundae from Henry’s at the Harbor View Hotel A traditional ice cream sundae is always a good idea, especially when it’s served with a warm chocolate brownie, copious amounts of whipped cream, fruity cherry sauce, luscious caramel sauce, and sprinkled with nuts.
- Chocolate Bomb from Black Dog Bakery Described on the menu as a “chocolate lover’s dream,” it’s a staple among the chocolate-addicted. Rich white chocolate, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate mousse are draped in chocolate ganache. A symphony of chocolate — your taste buds will sing with joy once you taste it.
Double Chocolate Fudge from Murdick’s Fudge Sometimes, all you need is a bite of something sweet after dinner, and a sliver of Murdick’s classic double chocolate fudge is a family favorite.
- Skillet-Baked Cookie from Sharky’s Cantina Anything baked in a skillet has that homestyle feel to it, and this skillet cookie delivers just that. Chocolate chip cookie base topped with whipped cream, fudge, and caramel sauce: just what you need to go with your margaritas.
- Chilmark Chocolates Nothing says “I love you” more than a box of Chilmark Chocolates, a landmark of the Island. Their schedule changes often, so make sure to call ahead to check if they are open.
- Not Your Sugar Mamas Chocolates The ladies of NYSM have taken the chocolate world by storm, and have been featured in Vogue, Real Simple, the Boston Globe, the Washington Post, and more. It’s because their gluten-, dairy-, and refined-sugar-free chocolates deserve it. My one obsession from their line of products is the original chocolate chip cookie made with raw cacao, coconut oil, coconut palm sugar, oats, and sea salt. It’s nutrient-dense and the perfect way to start your day.