Edgartown firefighters respond to ‘Onewheel’ fire

0
an electric skateboard caught fire above the Juniper store in Edgartown Thursday. -Brian Dowd

Edgartown firefighters were called to the second floor of the building that houses Juniper in Edgartown due to an electric skateboard that caught fire.

In an email to The Times, Edgartown Fire Chief Alex Schaeffer said the call was one of seven service calls firefighters responded to Thursday. In addition to Edgartown, Oak Bluffs and West Tisbury fire departments were called in as mutual aid.

“Upon our arrival, smoke was visible from the exterior and all parties had exited. An occupant of the upstairs apartment had been working on a ‘Onewheel’ type electric skateboard when it caught fire,” Schaeffer wrote.

Before exiting the building, the occupant threw the board out the window where it self extinguished. The board was the only thing that caught fire and mutual aid was canceled as the building was ventilated. One occupant was transported for smoke inhalation.

“This area of town is of great concern for us when we are dispatched to fires. I appreciate the response from our mutual aid partners. Their additional resources would be essential to a successful downtown operation,” Schaeffer wrote.