Olympic Ice beckons
The MV PeeWees and Bantams youth hockey teams leave today for Lake Placid, N.Y., to play in the Can-Am tournaments over the weekend. Games will be played in the arenas that hosted the 1932 and 1980 Olympics.
An April Fools' mixed doubles tennis tournament will be held at the Vineyard Tennis Center Work Out and Spa, on Sunday, April 3, Entry fee is $50, benefit of MV Cancer Support Group. Call the Vineyard Tennis Center, 508-696-8000. All tennis players are welcome.
Belated hockey news
Better late than never, we report that The Martha's Vineyard Travel Mites hockey team shut out Barnstable Sunday, February 22, 6-0. Will Bruguiere started the dance in the first period assisted by Hoffi Hearn. In the second frame, Veronica Wendt scored, also assisted by Hearn. Peter Gillis added the third goal with help from Aiden Araujo and Kenny Hatt. Hunter Meader scored, assisted by Liam Marek. Aiden Araujo made it 5-0 abetted by Logan Araujo. In the third period Logan Araujo scored the final goal. Kenny Hatt assisted.
Goalie Aiden Marek, credited with the shut-out, was well-shielded by defenders Jackson Pachico, Eli Gunderson, Lauren Boyd, and Kenny Hatt.
Volleyball season opens
The Interscholastic volleyball season opens with Tisbury at home to Edgartown and Oak Bluffs visiting West Tisbury on Tuesday, March 15. Game time is approximately 3:30 pm.
Volleyball is a coed grammar school sport on the Island. Each team is required to have at least two girls on the court at all times. Each team must also always have at least two boys on the court.
Did you know?
- Volleyball was invented in1895 by William G. Morgan, a YMCA instructor at Holyoke, Mass., who thought that basketball was too strenuous a game for his businessmen clients.
- Like basketball, the first volleyball game was played at Springfield College, Springfield, Mass. The date was July 7, 1896.
- The set-spike play, the staple of the modern game, was invented in the Philipines in 1916.
- Beach volleyball was first played at Santa Monica, Cal., in 1930.
- In 1948 the first two-man beach volleyball tourney was held.
- Volleyball became an Olympic sport in Tokyo in 1964.
- The USA won its first Volleyball Olympic medals in 1984 in Los Angeles. Men won the gold; women the silver.
- Volleyball is second only to soccer in worldwide popularity.