MV United boys soccer rout Mashpee 8-0 in home opener

Jason Lages scored a hat trick for undefeated United.

Jason Lages effortlessly weaves through defenders on his way to goal. – Michael Cummo

The Martha’s Vineyard United under-18 boys soccer team defeated Mashpee 8-0 at its home opener on a cloudy Sunday afternoon.

The high-scoring match began quickly, when forward Brandon Dwane’s lefty shot snuck past defenders and a screened goalie.

The Mashpee defense struggled with the pace set by Martha’s Vineyard all game. Jason Lages quickly stole the ball and scored near-post to make it 2-0; moments afterward he sent in a howling cross that was turned into the net by a defender for an own goal.

After another quick goal, the Vineyarders were up 4-0 at halftime. The boys looked solid throughout, and were rarely challenged defensively.

Immediately after the break, Ryan Uva scored, giving the Vineyard an impenetrable lead. After that goal, the boys looked supremely confident. Jason Lages again made the defense look porous, rounding several defenders to rip a shot into the bottom corner, putting MV up 6-0. The opposing defense had nothing to say but “Wow.” It did not stop there.

Right winger Lee Faraca caused speed problems for the defense all game, and gathered a cross, which he slid past a weak defense for a goal, increasing the lead to 7-0. By this point, the Vineyard boys had nearly total possession, and they were weaving through defenders and making slick passes with huge smiles on their faces.

Yet again, Jason Lages made the defense drop their collective jaws after he effortlessly wove through five Mashpee defenders to put a shot on target that was expertly stopped by the Mashpee keeper. Moments later Lages chased down a ball heading toward the corner flag and stopped it on the touchline; his momentum kept him running onto the concrete, where he lost his balance and slipped, but he recovered before any defender reached the ball. Lages then snaked through three defenders and scored, putting the Vineyard up 8-0 in an incredible effort.

Throughout the entire game, MV United looked calm and composed with their victory never in doubt. They travel to Dennis-Yarmouth on Sunday, May 2, for their next game.