Leandro Miranda followed opportunity and family to Martha’s Vineyard

The 24-year-old Brazilian sits in Dukes County Jail awaiting deportation as he contemplates his past and his future.


A Portuguese translation of this story follows the English version. A tradução deste artigo em português está localizada logo após a versão em inglês.

Leandro Barbosa Miranda, a native of Mantenópolis, a small city in the southeastern state of Espirito Santo, Brazil, sits in the Dukes County Jail, anticipating his possible deportation back to the country he left five years earlier.

Mr. Miranda has been held following his arrest on August 15 on a probation violation related to a string of earlier arrests for motor vehicle violations. On Thursday, September 4, he appeared in Edgartown District Court where Judge J. Thomas Kirkman, expressing some surprise at seeing Mr. Miranda back in court, asked if U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) had taken steps to retrieve him.

In May, ICE deported Mr. Miranda back to Brazil. His reentry into the United States in June after deportation, a federal felony, leaves him with no avenue of appeal, according to federal authorities.

Judge Kirkman scheduled Mr. Miranda’s next court appearance for October 1 and he was returned to jail. ICE may determine his fate before that date.

As he prepares to close this chapter of his life on Martha’s Vineyard, Mr. Miranda, 24, a carpenter by trade, recently agreed to an interview with The Times conducted in Portuguese. The Times spoke to Mr. Miranda three times in the Dukes County Jail between Aug. 20 and Aug. 27. His only condition was that his photo not appear in the story, a condition to which The Times agreed.

Mr. Miranda spoke about his life on Martha’s Vineyard, his trouble with the law, his regrets over those troubles, and his uncertain future. In his last interview, he became angry when told that many of the details he had provided would be included in his story, because he said they could complicate his legal situation. The next day, his lawyer, Ryan Searle, asked that The Times have no further contact with Mr. Miranda.

Following ambitions

Mantenópolis is a municipality located in the Brazilian state of Espírito Santo. The state is located in the southwestern part of Brazil and is known for agriculture, granite and marble, and exports.

The last census pegged the population at more than 11,000, several thousand people fewer than Martha’s Vineyard in the off-season. A large portion of the Vineyard’s Brazilian community come from the same area and are related, through social or family connections.

Mr. Miranda, or “Rikinho” as he is called by friends and family, was a young man with no particular professional skills or academic goals, and very few opportunities. His mother and uncles already lived on the Island.

“I wouldn’t have had the same chances and opportunities in Brazil to achieve financial security as well as learn a skill set to stabilize and secure my future,” he said. “Prior to my arrest, I had obtained some of these goals, which provided me a good life.”

He was 18 years old, and most of the members of his family — his mother, uncles, and cousins — were living on Martha’s Vineyard.

Following a well-trod path, he said he took a bus to São Paulo, flew to El Salvador, from there to Miami, and from Miami to Boston.

Initially, Mr. Miranda told The Times he traveled on his own passport. In a subsequent conversation, he said he paid $16,000 to “an American” for documents that allowed him to enter the country for two days.

He arrived on Martha’s Vineyard in 2010 and began working for a local construction company owned by a Brazilian man.

His life revolved around work and the Brazilian community. He ate Brazilian food and socialized almost exclusively with Brazilians. From time to time he traveled to Club Lido, since closed, an entertainment venue in Revere that catered to Brazilians. He also attended Brazilian rodeos in Brockton, an activity popular with local Brazilians as it mixes a sport that is very popular in Brazil with entertainment by well known Brazilian country bands and singers hired to come to the U.S. “I never wanted to go to the beach because I already worked in the sun,” he said.

At some point during his stay, Mr. Miranda married a Brazilian-American woman. He later separated from his wife, he said, but provided few other details about their relationship other than to say that his marriage did not affect his legal standing.

At various times he lived in Oak Bluffs and in Vineyard Haven, sharing living quarters with family members, and later with his girlfriend.

“From the moment I arrived here, my sole goal was to establish myself on the Island by learning a trade and becoming good at it. I learned how to read architectural plans, and I have built house frames from the ground up. I worked diligently day and night, including the weekends … This country gave me so much, it gave me the ability to learn a skill that I will be able to take with me anywhere life leads me.”

Five arrests, four months

Last year, between March 2 and August 28, Mr. Miranda amassed a long record of serious driving offenses resulting in five separate arrests. In three of those incidents, Mr. Miranda tried to flee or evade police, according to court records, including twice when he fled in his vehicle at high speeds.

Up to 2014, Mr. Miranda had lived on Martha’s Vineyard for five years without being arrested. That changed early on the morning on March 2, 2014, when police spotted him driving a 2005 Chrysler 300 on Edgartown–Vineyard Haven Road at over 80 miles per hour.

He was charged with negligent operation of a motor vehicle, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, marked lanes violation, speeding, failure to stop for police, and wanton destruction of property under $250. He was arraigned on March 3 in Edgartown District Court, and released after posting $100 bail.

On May 1, he was arrested on a charge of operating a motor vehicle after a suspension for OUI. Mr. Miranda was released on $400 bail following his arraignment on May 5.

On July 4, 2014, at 1:30 pm, Mr. Miranda was spotted by Oak Bluffs police officers, and attempted to speed away.

He later pled guilty to charges of driving under the influence of alcohol, negligent operation of a vehicle, and fleeing police.

He was arrested in August on a default warrant, issued when someone does not appear in court when required, at a job site on Clevelandtown Road in Edgartown.

“I was aware that the police were looking for me, and not all of the cops were familiar with my face,” he said. “I didn’t want to put my Brazilian co-workers at risk of being pulled over, many also driving without a license, as well as my current employer, in jeopardy because of the past bad decisions I made. Therefore I chose not to evade the police any further.”

Fateful decision

“I never had a Massachusetts driver’s license, and for five years I drove on-Island without any issues because I drove cautiously,” Mr. Miranda said, “until my first arrest on March 2014. It was around four o’clock in the morning, I had been drinking, and made the consequential decision to drive home. I could have asked my girlfriend to drive — she wanted to drive — but amid the stupor caused by alcohol, I decided that I could handle it. I was wrong. I had never been arrested in my life, and even though I knew that there would be consequences, I didn’t know how bad they would be.”

Last October, in a series of plea deals related to his earlier arrests, Mr. Miranda pleaded guilty to drunk driving, failing to stop for police, and resisting arrest. Edgartown District Court Justice H. Gregory Williams sentenced Mr. Miranda to 2.5 years in a house of correction, with nine months to serve, and the balance suspended for two years of probation.

“Many Brazilian Islanders make the decision to drive without a license out of necessity, to survive every day, and are constantly afraid of being pulled over and having their lives changed completely,” Mr. Miranda said. “My situation is not much different than others, but I made the wrongful choice of operating a vehicle under the influence.”

No way out

Despite his multiple arrests, Mr. Miranda does not consider himself a dangerous criminal. He thinks that all of his arrests could have been avoided if he made better decisions.

“I am not a criminal; I know that if people read about my arrests and how often they happened, they must think that I don’t care for the law or have no respect,” he said. “That is quite the contrary.”

He said the first arrest put him on the radar screen on an Island where many drivers fly under it.

“Once it became public knowledge that my right to operate a motor vehicle in the commonwealth of Massachusetts had been suspended/revoked, I acquired a red flag in the eyes of the law, and it didn’t matter that I was not drunk or driving only to church and work.” Asked why he didn’t seek alternative transportation instead of driving himself, Mr. Miranda cited a limited bus schedule and the specific demands of his job as a carpenter.

“Unfortunately, for the kinds of jobs that many Brazilians have on-Island, the VTA schedule doesn’t accommodate our crazy hours or the remote locations of our jobs. Even if I were to pay someone to drive me, or bought a bike, those options weren’t always feasible nor sustainable,” Mr. Miranda said.

Mr. Miranda said his decision to elude police was made due to a combination of alcohol and panic.

“Every time I made the rash decision to run or hide from the police, it wasn’t with the intent to think I could get away or disrespect anyone,” he said. “I would panic as I knew that life as I have come to know it would drastically change and I wouldn’t be able to continue to live here.

“When I was with ICE, I met many men that had been there for years fighting to stay here; for them it was best to stay in jail rather than to go home. I accepted my charges, and even agreed that I should pay for the Fourth of July incident, as I risked not just my life but many others. Later, I thanked God that nothing worse happened.”

Back to Brazil

Although ICE was notified shortly after Mr. Miranda’s first arrest on March 2, 2014, federal immigration authorities took no action until August 28, following his fifth arrest, according to court documents. ICE then issued a detainee order, requiring local authorities to hold Mr. Miranda in custody for 48 hours once his jail sentence and any other court proceedings were finished. According to the detainee order, ICE had “determined that there is reason to believe the individual is an alien subject to removal from the United States.”

In March, ICE agents arrived at the Dukes County House of Correction to take custody of Mr. Miranda. He was deported on May 27 to Brazil.

“I went back to Brazil in May,” Mr. Miranda said. “I was driven from Boston to Kennedy Airport in New York, and stayed in Brazil for a short period of time.”

Mr. Miranda told The Times he took drastic measures to return to the United States. He described a harrowing 12-day trip from Rio de Janeiro to the U.S.-Mexico border, to Texas and finally Massachusetts at a cost of $18,000.

Reliable sources who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity disputed Mr. Miranda’s account. They said Mr. Miranda used a well-known, far safer route of entry that took him to the Bahamas, where he boarded a boat to the U.S.

Asked why he was willing to take those risks to return to the Island, he said, “I learned how to be a carpenter here, and even if I tried to use my skills in Brazil, it wouldn’t be as efficient, as houses are planned and built differently. I like the advantages that my job offered me, and how I could financially afford to work and have a much better life than I would ever have in Brazil.”

Jail has benefits

On August 15, acting on a tip, Edgartown Police arrested Mr. Miranda. “No one likes jail, but being at the jail in Edgartown is very different from being incarcerated at the immigration center in Boston,” he said. “The people that work at this jail respect you as a person, make efforts to reintegrate inmates into society.”

He said that when he arrived at the ICE facility in March, there were around 15 Brazilians locked up, and the rest of the men were from South and Central America. “It was really lonely,” he said. “Members of my family, including my mom and my girlfriend, were able to visit me at the Dukes County Jail every single day, despite their apprehension given that they also don’t have proper documentation. That wasn’t the case when I was held by ICE, as my friends and family members couldn’t come visit me, given their immigration status.”

The future

Mr. Miranda says he has no plans to try to return to the United States. “I am not going to endure the difficulties that one goes through to come to this country via Mexico or other places,” he said. “I can’t do that anymore. Even though I am not sure how I am going to adapt to Brazil, I am young; I will figure it out. However, I will be lying if I say that I don’t still have hope. This is the country I chose to call home, and I would do anything to stay here but remain in jail — in that case I would return and stay in Brazil. But if I was required to do hundreds of hours of community service, prove every day that I am not operating a vehicle, no sacrifice would be too great.”

Portuguese translation – Tradução em portuguêsLeandro Miranda buscou a família e oportunidades em Martha’s Vineyard

O brasileiro de 24 anos espera sua deportação na cadeia de Dukes County enquanto contempla seu passado e futuro.

Leandro Barbosa Miranda, nativo de Mantenópolis, uma cidade pequena de Espírito Santos no sudoeste do Brasil,  aguarda na cadeia de Dukes County sua eminente deportação para o país o qual deixou cinco anos atrás.

Miranda vem sendo mantido preso desde 15 de agosto por violação de liberdade condicional relacionada a uma série de prisões anteriores por violações de trânsito. Na quinta-feira, 4 de setembro, ele apareceu no Tribunal Distrital de Edgartown, onde o juiz J. Thomas Kirkman, expressando alguma surpresa ao ver Miranda de volta ao tribunal, perguntou se a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) tomou medidas para recuperá-lo.

Em maio, a ICE deportou Miranda de volta ao Brasil. Sua reentrada nos Estados Unidos em junho, após a deportação, um crime federal, o deixa sem qualquer via de recurso, de acordo com autoridades federais. O juiz Kirkman agendou a próxima aparição de  Miranda no tribunal para 1 de outubro e ele retornou à prisão. A ICE pode determinar o seu destino antes dessa data.

Enquanto ele se prepara para fechar o capítulo de Martha’s Vineyard em sua vida, Miranda, 24, um carpinteiro, recentemente concordou com uma entrevista para o MVTimes conduzida em português. O jornal conversou com Miranda três vezes na cadeia de Dukes County entre o dia 20 a 27 de agosto. A única condição de Miranda foi o pedido de não ter sua foto publicada com a reportagem, algo o qual o jornal concordou.

Miranda falou sobre sua vida em Martha’s Vineyard, seus problemas com a lei, seus arrependimentos sobre os seus problemas com a lei, e seu futuro incerto. Em sua última entrevista, Leandro ficou aborrecido ao ser alertado que detalhes os quais havia fornecido seriam incluídos nesta reportagem, porque, disse ele, estes detalhes poderiam complicar sua situação legal. No dia seguinte, sua advogada, Ryan Searle, pediu ao jornal que não tivesse nenhuma forma de contato com seu cliente.

Perseguindo ambições

Mantenópolis é um município localizado no estado brasileiro do Espírito Santo. O estado é localizado na região sudoeste do Brasil, e é conhecido por agricultura, granito e mármore, além de exportações.

No último censo, a população deste município foi estimada em mais de 11.000 habitantes, menos indivíduos do que a ilha abriga durante os meses que não fazem parte da temporada de verão. Uma boa parte da comunidade brasileira de Martha’s Vineyard vem da mesma área e possui alguma relação, seja social ou familiar.

Miranda, ou Rikinho, como é conhecido por amigos e familiares, quando saiu do Brasil era um jovem sem habilidades profissionais ou objetivos acadêmicos, e com poucas oportunidades. A sua mãe e tios já moravam na ilha.

“Eu não teria tido as mesmas chances e oportunidades no Brasil para alcançar a segurança financeira que eu tive nos Estados Unidos, como também aprender uma habilidade que tornaria o meu futuro mas seguro.”

Ele tinha dezoito anos, e a maioria dos membros da sua família – sua mãe, tios e primos – residia em Martha’s Vineyard.

Seguindo um caminho difícil, ele diz ter tomado um ônibus até São Paulo, fez escala em El Salvador, e de lá seguiu para Miami, e de Miami a Boston.

Inicialmente, Miranda diz ao jornal MVTimes que havia viajado com o seu próprio passaporte. Numa conversa seguinte, ele disse que pagou $16.000 para um americano por documentos que facilitaram a sua entrada no país por dois dias.

Ele chegou à Martha’s Vineyard em 2010 e começou a trabalhar para uma companhia local de construção, cujo dono é brasileiro.

A vida de Leandro girava ao redor da comunidade brasileira. Ele apenas comia comida brasileira e socializava quase que exclusivamente com brasileiros. De tempos em tempos, ele viaja para fora da ilha para participar de shows brasileiros oferecidos pelo fechado clube Lido em Revere, que em grande parte promovia eventos para a comunidade brasileira. Ele também gostava de frequentar rodeios em Brockton, uma atividade popular com os brasileiros locais, sendo um evento que mistura um esporte bem popular no Brasil com shows de bandas e cantores brasileiros contratados para cantar nestes rodeios. “Eu nunca quis ir à praia porque eu já trabalhava no sol.”

Durante sua estada nos Estados Unidos, Miranda se casou com uma mulher com dupla cidadania. Ele depois viria a se separar da esposa,  porém forneceu poucos detalhes sobre sua relação de forma a dizer que seu casamento não interferiu na sua situação legal.

Leandro dividiu moradia com familiares como também com sua atual namorada.

“Desde que cheguei na ilha, meu foco principal foi de me estabelecer nela, aprender uma profissão e me tornar um bom profissional. Eu aprendi como ler planos de arquitetura, e também construí casas as quais ainda estavam na planta. Eu trabalhei muito dia e noite, incluindo fins-de-semana… Este país me deu muito, me deu a habilidade de aprender uma profissão que eu irei carregar comigo para onde quer que a vida me leve”.

Cinco detenções, quatro meses

No ano passado, entre os dias 2 de março e 28 de agosto, Miranda acumulou um extensivo recorde de ofensas no trânsito resultando em cinco detenções. Em três incidentes, Miranda tentou se esconder ou fugir da polícia, de acordo com registros da corte, incluindo dois incidentes no qual ele tentou escapar em seu veículo em alta velocidade.

Até 2014, Miranda morou em Martha’s Vineyard por cinco anos sem ser detido. Tudo mudou na madrugada de 2 de março em 2014, quando a polícia notou Leandro dirigindo uma Chrysler 300 2005 em Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road acima do limite imposto, a 80 milhas por hora.

Ele foi condenado com negligência na operação do veículo, operação de veículo sem licença, violação de linhas, excesso de velocidade,  ignorar ordens policiais e destruir propriedade de até 250 dólares. Ele foi julgado em 4 de março, na corte do distrito de Edgartown, e liberado após pagar fiança de 100 dólares.

No dia primeiro de maio, ele foi detido por operar um veiculo quando o seu direito de dirigir havia sido revogado desde que havia sido detido pela primeira vez por estar dirigindo sob influência do álcool. Leandro foi liberado ao pagar $400 de fiança após sua acusação no dia cinco de maio.

No dia 4 de julho de 2014, à 1h30 da tarde, Leandro foi visto por um policial de Oak Bluffs e tentou fugir em alta velocidade.

Mais tarde ele confessou-se culpado por ter dirigido sob influência do álcool, operação negligente de veiculo e por tentar escapar da polícia.

Ele foi detido em agosto por um mandato de apreensão, que é emitido quando alguém não aparece na corte quando requerido, em seu local de trabalho na Clevelandtown Road em Edgartwon.

“Eu tinha consciência de que a polícia estava me procurando, e que nem todos os policias eram familiares com a minha fisionomia”, ele disse. “Eu não quis colocar os meus colegas de trabalho também brasileiros em risco de serem parados pela polícia, já que muitos também dirigem sem uma carteira de Massachussetts, assim como não quis prejudicar o meu chefe com as más decisões que havia tomado no passado. Portanto eu decidi não fugir da polícia e me entregar.”

Fatídica decisão

“Eu nunca tive uma carteira de motorista de Massachussets. E por cinco anos dirigi na ilha sem qualquer problema porque eu dirigia com cuidado,” disse Leandro. “Até a minha primeira apreensão em março de 2014. Era por volta de quatro horas da manhã, eu tinha bebido e tomei a decisão sem pensar de dirigir para casa. Eu poderia ter pedido à minha namorada para dirigir – ela quis dirigir – mas, em meio ao álcool, decidi que eu estava bem para dirigir. Eu estava errado. Eu nunca tinha sido preso na minha vida, e eu sabia que haveria consequências, eu só não sabia o quão grave elas seriam.”

Em outubro passado, em uma série de acordos de confissão relacionados às detenções anteriores, Miranda se declarou culpado de dirigir embriagado, não parar para a polícia, e resistir à prisão. O Tribunal Distrital de Justiça de Edgartown H. Gregory Williams condenou Miranda para 2,5 anos em uma casa de correção, com nove meses de serviço, e o saldo suspenso por dois anos de liberdade condicional.

“Muitos brasileiros da ilha tomam a decisão de dirigir sem a carteira por necessidade, para sobreviver todos os dias. Estão constantemente tensos e com medo de serem parados pela polícia e verem suas vidas transformarem-se completamente,” disse Leandro. “A minha situação não é muito diferente de outras pessoas, mas eu tomei a decisão errada de dirigir quando estava sob a influência do álcool.”

Sem saída

Apesar de suas múltiplas apreensões, Leandro não se considera um criminoso perigoso. Ele acredita que todas suas detenções poderiam ter sido evitas caso tivesse feito decisões melhores.

“Eu não sou um criminoso; eu sei que se as pessoas lerem sobre as vezes que fui detido e quantas vezes aconteceram, eles podem até pensar que eu não me importo com a lei ou não tenho respeito”, ele disse. “Mas é muito pelo contrário.”

Ele disse que sua primeira detenção o colocou em um radar na ilha que muitos não são detectados.

“Uma vez que se tornou público que o meu direito de dirigir havia sido revogado/suspendido, eu adquiri uma bandeira vermelha nos olhos da lei, e não fez diferença ou teve importância que eu não estava bêbado ou apenas dirigindo para à igreja ou meu trabalho” Quando foi perguntado porque não procurou outros meios de locomoção ao invés de dirigir, Leandro citou um serviço de ônibus limitado e a demanda especifica que seu trabalho como carpinteiro possui.

“Infelizmente, para os tipos de trabalho que muitos brasileiros têm na lha, o schedule da VTA não acomoda as nossas horas doidas e localizações remotas de nossos trabalhos. Mesmo que eu tivesse pago alguém para me dirigir, ou comprado uma bicicleta, estas opções não seriam sempre factíveis ou sustentáveis.” disse Leandro.

Leandro disse que sua decisão de fugir da polícia foi uma combinação de álcool e pânico.

“Todas as vezes que eu tomei a decisão de correr ou me esconder da policia, não foi com a intenção de achar que poderia escapar ou desrespeitar ninguém,” ele disse. “Eu entrava em pânico já que eu sabia que a vida como ela era seria transformada drasticamente e que eu não poderia continuar a viver aqui. Quando eu estava apreendido pela imigração, conheci muitos homens que ja estavam lutando há muitos anos para continuar a ficar aqui. Para eles, era melhor ficar na cadeia do que voltar para seus países. Eu aceitei a minha sentença, e até concordei que eu deveria pagar pelo incidente do dia quatro de julho, já que eu havia arriscado não só a minha vida, mas a de muitos outros. Depois eu agradeci a Deus que nada pior havia acontecido.”

De volta ao Brasil

Mesmo que  imigração tenha sido notifica logo após a primeira vez que Miranda foi apreendido no dia 2 de março de 2014, as autoridades federais da imigração não tomaram nenhuma ação até o dia 28 de agosto, após a quinta apreensão, de acordo com documentos da corte. O ICE emitiu, então, uma ordem de detenção, requerindo que as autoridades locais segurassem Miranda em custódia por 48 horas até que sua sentença e outros procedimentos da corte tivessem terminado. De acordo com a ordem de detenção, o ICE havia determinado que havia razões para acreditar que o indivíduo era um sujeito alheio à remoção dos Estados Unidos.”

Em março, agentes da imigração chegaram à Dukes County House of Correction para tomar custódia de Miranda. Ele foi deportado no dia 27 de maio para o Brasil.

“Eu voltei para o Brasil em Maio,” disse Leandro. “Me levaram de carro de Boston até o aeroporto J.F.Kennedy em Nova York, e eu fiquei no Brasil por um breve período de tempo.”

Leandro contou ao jornal, que ele tomou medidas drásticas para retornar aos Estados unidos. Ele descreveu uma pungente viagem de doze dias do Rio de Janeiro para a fronteira dos Estados Unidos com o México, depois Texas e finalmente a Massachussetts por o total de $18,000.

Fontes seguras que concordaram em conversar na condição de anonimato contestam o que Leandro contou. Disseram que Leandro usou uma rota bem conhecida e muito mais segura que ele tomou para entrar de volta aos Estados Unidos, que ele entrou pelas Bahamas, onde pegou um barco de volta para os Estados Unidos.

Quando perguntando o porquê de enfrentar estes riscos pra retornar à ilha, ele disse, “Eu aprendi a ser um carpinteiro aqui, e mesmo que tivesse tentando usar minhas habilidades no Brasil, não teria sido eficiente, as casas são planejadas e construídas de uma forma diferente. Eu gosto das vantagens que o meu trabalho me fornece, e como eu podia financeiramente através do meu trabalho ter uma vida muito melhor que jamais teria no Brasil.”

Cadeia tem benefícios

“Ninguém gosta de estar de ficar preso, mas esta cadeia em Edgartown é muito diferente de quando eu estava encarcerado na cadeia da imigração em Boston,” ele disse. “As pessoas que trabalham nesta cadeia lhe respeitam, fazem esforços para reintegrar os detentos novamente na sociedade.”

Ele disse que, quando chegou à facilidade da imigração em Boston em março, havia quinze brasileiros detidos, e que a grande maioria dos outros homens vinha de países da América Central e do Sul. “Foi muito solitário,” ele disse. “Membros da minha família, incluindo a minha mãe e namorada, vinham me visitar na cadeia de Dukes County todos os dias, mesmo se sentindo apreensivas já que também não tinham documentação adequada para morar neste país. Este não era o caso quando eu fui detido pela imigração, já que a maioria dos meus amigos e familiares, devido ao seu estado imigratório, não puderam me visitar.”

O Futuro

Miranda disse que não tem planos de retornar aos Estados Unidos. “Eu não irei suportar  as dificuldades que as pessoas enfrentam para vir para este país, seja pelo México ou outros lugares” disse ele. “Eu não posso mais. Mesmo que eu não tenha a certeza de como eu irei me adaptar ao Brasil. Eu sou jovem, eu dou um jeito. De qualquer maneira, eu estaria mentindo se eu dissesse que não tenho esperança. Este foi o país que escolhi para chamar de casa, e eu faria qualquer coisa para continuar a morar aqui, mas não continuaria na cadeia. Se este for o caso, eu retornaria ao Brasil. Se, para eu continuar aqui fosse requerido centenas de horas de serviço comunitário, provar todos os dias que eu não estou dirigindo, nenhum sacrifício seria demais.”