Fire tears through West Tisbury home


Updated May 20

West Tisbury firefighters, joined by crews from Edgartown, Oak Bluffs, and Tisbury, knocked down a house fire on Old County Road Saturday morning. None of the occupants were injured, however, according to West Tisbury Fire Chief Manual Estrella III, the house is a total loss.

“Everything inside is gone,” he said.

Chief Estrella III said the fire appears to have started on a porch, possibly from a heat lamp that was being used to warm turkey eggs.

Tri-Town Ambulance, West Tisbury Police, Chilmark Police, and State Police also responded to the fire.

The house, which is located at 180 Old County Road, is valued at $200,600, according to a West Tisbury assessor’s card. Combined with the land value, the total property value is listed at $567,700.

Updated with more details after breaking the news of the fire on Saturday morning – Ed.