Saturday, December 3, 2022
Home Islander Essays Writing from the Heart

Writing from the Heart

Writing from the Heart: Daylight saving

This is my favorite time of the year. When we turn the clocks back and it gets dark at four in the afternoon. I seem to be in the minority. So I have to...

Writing from the Heart: Crying … a lot

I've been doing a lot of crying lately.  I don’t know if it’s post-, post-menopause, or the state of the world or change of life or climate change or changing channels between Fox, where they...

Writing from the Heart: Welcome back

I am welcoming myself back to the column. As some of you might know, I took a mini sabbatical to rewrite my memoir, the one that got 17 rejections. When I finally dragged myself...

Writing from the Heart: Afraid of ‘other’

A note from Nancy: The good news is I’m thrilled to announce the publication of my new book, “Memoir as Medicine,” coming out this month. I couldn’t have asked for a better publisher, New...

Writing from the Heart: Body and soul

About 30 years ago I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. It came on right after I had lost a document in the middle of writing something that I thought was probably the best...

Writing from the Heart: Mirror, mirror

I never understood women who said to their daughters, “When I’m on my deathbed, pluck my chin hairs or I’ll kill myself.” Why at that point would they care? Why at any point would...

Writing from the Heart: COVID lessons

I just got my copy of “The Covid Monologues,” a local anthology edited by Jennifer Knight and Moira Silva. The stories are a powerful glimpse into an era we all lived, and are living...

Writing from the Heart: Everything in moderation

My friend Gerry used to say, “Everything in moderation … including moderation.” He would say it when I was complaining about my sugar habit. Every time I said, “Why can’t I be more disciplined?”...

Writing from the Heart: Happy everything!

Fall on your knees! O hear the angels' voices! O night divine … Ohhhhh night when Christ was born!  Each Christmas our high school put on a pageant that could have rivaled any hit musical...

Writing from the Heart: Tidying up

I’m early for once. I’m doing my spring cleaning. And it’s only December. So proud. I think it was the smell of the mold that got me going, or was it the fact that...

Writing from the Heart: Let your opinions go

Years ago I was walking up the stairs at the Cape Cod National Seashore with a friend. It was off-season, and I was blown away by the beauty. The sky was a perfect baby...

Writing from the Heart: Naked truth

In 1985, a young photographer friend asked me if I would pose for her in the nude. I was feeling beautiful for the first time in my life, and I couldn't say yes fast...

Writing from the Heart: Trick or treat

It's not just that my major addiction is candy that makes Halloween my favorite holiday, it’s the dressing-up part. It’s such a great excuse to be someone else, even if only for a night....

Writing From the Heart: Kindred spirits

With sudden inflow of money from a successful business my husband and I started in 1971, we were able to move to a gorgeous neighborhood where the lawns were groomed and the cars in...

Writing from the Heart: Move it

In 1971, I was on the beach with my husband, who was reading an article in Newsweek. Listen to this, he said as he paraphrased, “Man is an animal. Man is supposed to move...

Writing from the Heart: Yom Kippur

This is the first Yom Kippur without my sister. Yom Kippur is the holiest of all the Jewish holidays. It’s about forgiveness and repentance. I learned early you don’t forgive people because they deserve...

Writing from the Heart: Last resort

In 1955 in Hartford, Conn., in the middle of a raging recession, I took a sip of my last straw. I had applied for housekeeping positions at four different motels and was told I...

Writing from the Heart: Meditation miracles

In 1977, in the middle of my life, which had become an extended, ongoing crisis, I asked the owner of my favorite Indian restaurant if she knew anyone who meditated and could teach me....

Writing from the Heart: Anger

I had a son who was angry. He came out of the womb arguing with me. We called him “Last Word Dan.” It took me decades to learn not to engage. But all those...

Writing from the Heart: Magic eyes

In the early ’70s, there was a book being passed around in our circle of friends called “Magic Eye Beyond 3D.” Basically it was a two-dimensional image that had a three-dimensional image hidden in...