Saturday, June 25, 2022

Up-Island Council on Aging

508-693-2896 Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 4 pm. CLOSED HOLIDAYS Joyce Albertine, director - Bethany Hammond, assistant director  Susan Merrill, outreach coordinator - Jennie Gadowski, administrative assistant June 2022 EXCITING JUNE OFFERINGS: June 15, “A Walk Thru Zadar, Croatia,”...

Edgartown Council on Aging

The Edgartown Council on Aging serves as an information and referral source to long-term services and supports available to older adults.  In-person programs are subject to cancellation or change with limited notice due to...

Oak Bluffs Council on Aging

21 WAMSUTTA AVE. OAK BLUFFS, MA 02557 Tel 508-693-4509       Fax 508-693-7655 Rose M. Cogliano, administrator, 508-693-4509, ext. 3 Kristine Kokoszka, outreach coordinator, 508-693-4509, ext. 4 June Highlights Weekly Live and Zoom Exercise Monday 8:45 am, group exercise Zoom with...

Elder Law with Frank and Mary: Elder Law for Singles

Probate avoidance Typically, a couple owns their assets jointly. If one dies, the other becomes the sole owner. If you’re single, assets you own in your sole name must go through probate, which can be...

Academic honors

Graduation Evan Sauter of Vineyard Haven, from Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Tyson Araujo of Vineyard Haven, from Wilkes University. President's list Stephany Ribeiro of Vineyard Haven, at Southern New Hampshire University.

Veterans Corner

There are new rules for traveling with military-issued ID cards, Real ID, or passports. According to the Department of Homeland Security, any issued military, retiree, and dependent ID is good for travel within the...

Oak Bluffs: The kickoff of summer

“Spring never warms us till May, /The offshore breeze is the reason.”  –Kate Taylor, “Shores of Paradise”  I heard that beautiful Kate Taylor song on the radio yesterday morning, and that line surely rang true,...

Have Faith: Special visitor

There's a special event coming up at the Community Baptist Church of Gay Head in Aquinnah. Pastor Sean McMahon tells me that the Rev. Gerry Locklear, a member of the Lumbee Tribe in North...

Tisbury: Flags will be waving

Heard on Main Street: Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else. I am sorry for giving you the wrong dates for drawing with Elizabeth Whelan. Elizabeth Whelan’s classes on nature sketching are next...

The Write Prescription: Speak melody

I was 8 years old the first time I held a flute. I can’t say it was love at first sight. Music lessons were required in my house. My sister was assigned the piano....

Come on in

As with most everything else, COVID did a number on the Red House's opening and building programming, but now the peer recovery support center — under the auspices of M.V. Community Services — is...

Visiting Vet: Taking the hunt to your indoor cat

When I was a child, my family had cats. There were Puss, Eloise, Gorilla, and Stinky. There were Pywacket, Farfel, and Nobody, and others whose names elude me at the moment. We lived on...

Chilmark: Memorial Day weekend is here

On Sunday, May 22, an informal celebration of Jill Iscol’s life was held on Lucy Vincent Beach. She had been in my thoughts all week, though we only talked a few times over the...

Edgartown: Congratulations, K-Faye

I hope everyone is ready, because like it or not, Memorial Day weekend is upon us, and based on last Friday when I walked through Oak Bluffs to get off this rock, the people...

West Tisbury: We live in the most beautiful place in the world

After a spate of gray, drizzly days, the sun finally came out for a beautiful weekend. We were spared the 90°-plus degree heat that weathermen had predicted. It was warm, but pleasant, the kind...

If these walls could talk

The humble red and brown brick façade of the Carnegie Heritage Center in Edgartown harks back to a day when Dr. Daniel Fisher and the Vincents were some of the wealthiest and most prominent...

Plant sales are springing up

It’s the season for getting gardens started, and there are plant sales coming up all around the Island. The Oak Bluffs School’s annual plant sale begins Thursday and continues Friday, May 20, from 9:45 to...

Meet the Weilands

The Weilands live down a dirt road in Oak Bluffs, one you’ll miss if you aren’t paying attention, so they literally live off the beaten path. Mom and Dad, Jennifer and Brian, have been...

Academic honor

Initiated into Omicron Delta Kappa Alley Estrella of West Tisbury was recently initiated into the Western New England University Circle of Omicron Delta Kappa, the National Leadership Honor Society. The society welcomed 1,971 new initiates...