Friday, September 24, 2021

Understanding aging

Mary Holmes, supervisor at the Supportive Day Program at the Martha's Vineyard Center for Living, is happy to bring Dementia Friends to the Island. The program is a social action movement developed by the...

A trip around the Island

Thomas Dresser, prolific Island author, has just published a gem of a guidebook, “Schlepping Around Martha’s Vineyard.” The title of the book has a touch of Yiddish humor. True, if you attempted to do...

Saudade: News from and for the Brazilian community/Notícias de e para a comunidade brasileira

This week 's column is about the first undocumented student to receive a full scholarship through MVYouth — Larissa de Oliveira. I am honored that Larissa has chosen to share her story as I...

West Tisbury: Storm preparation

I woke up during the night, about 4 am, and took Abby outside. The air was heavy and wet and the only sound was of surf pounding ashore in the distance. This was Monday...

Oak Bluffs: Recreation classes

Well, thank goodness tropical storm/hurricane Henri did not fall in love with the Island but took his turmoil elsewhere. A few messes of tree limbs, which were easily taken care of, were left here...

Edgartown: Film festival and regatta

August is winding down and summer, as we know it, is coming to a close. Didn’t it just start or is that my imagination? Actually, this summer has gone by at a moderate pace...

Chilmark: Local award winners

The storm was coming but so was my oldest son and his girlfriend. We took the dogs to the beach, he got his annual ocean swim in and our family made it to the...

Aquinnah: Ag Fair memories

Well, that was quite a week. COVID cases continued to rise, the fair went on as planned and the week ended with what was supposed to be a hurricane, then was downgraded to a...

West Tisbury library events, from yoga to tech help

On Friday, August 27, join Jason Mazar-Kelly at the West Tisbury library when he teaches an all-levels virtual Kripalu Flow Yoga Class via Zoom at 8 am. At 11:30 am, Kanta Lipsky leads a...

Coming up in September at the Chilmark library

Are you working on a picture book, Middle-Grade, Young Adult story, or nonfiction for young people? Or have you always wanted to? Join the Chilmark library’s monthly virtual group, Writing for Young People, and...

TRI is accepting applications for home repair funds

The Resource, for Community and Economic Development, Inc. (TRI) announced in a press release that it is accepting applications for the fiscal year 2020 Edgartown and Oak Bluffs housing rehab program. TRI has been awarded...

Cribbage Club

The Vineyard Cribbage Club met at the American Legion Hall in Edgartown on August 18 for another week of competitive cribbage. Eighteen players were there and the results were: First place, Mary Alice Russell...

Births

Valeri Rosa Leaf Andri Leaf and John S. Leaf of Edgartown announce the birth of a daughter, Valeri Rosa Leaf, on August 17, 2021, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Valeri weighed 7 pounds, 11 ounces. Isaiah Emmanuel...

Have Faith: Sharing the faith

It's not easy being a parent and it's not easy getting your children to go to church once they reach a certain age. When they're little, you can take them along almost anywhere with...

Visiting Vet: Considering euthanasia

Everybody, please. Sit down and take a deep breath. One of the hardest things veterinarians deal with is helping owners with decisions regarding euthanasia. We are asked to euthanize animals for all kinds of...

A guide for happier times

This new travel book, offered by Schiffer Publishing of Atglen, Pa., a company that’s been putting out fine guidebooks for years, is a tad bewildering. It makes you think that quite possibly we live...

Dogcharmer: Anxious pups

Hello, I am inquiring about dog training on Martha’s Vineyard. A quick internet search led me to your web page and I’m wondering if you still train here on the Island, and if you’re...

Thirty-one years of wonder

Campers excitedly make crafts and learn to dance. They are educated on social justice and conservation topics. Cultures that campers may not be familiar with are introduced. Welcome to Sense of Wonder Creations’ summer...

Writing from the Heart: Meditation miracles

In 1977, in the middle of my life, which had become an extended, ongoing crisis, I asked the owner of my favorite Indian restaurant if she knew anyone who meditated and could teach me....
>