Thursday, November 26, 2020

West Tisbury: Fall produce and flowers

I watched branches sway and leaves tossed in the air, then to the ground, as the wind howled through our woods this morning. It was barely light. Abby still snored on the sofa when I...

Tisbury: Sharks, ships, and laughs

Heard on Main Street: How come Superman could stop bullets with his chest, but always ducked when someone threw a gun at him? If you haven’t had your flu shot, get it Saturday, Nov. 7,...

Oak Bluffs: Red Stocking Fund underway

Tuesday, Nov. 3, is Election Day and as I am writing this column on the 2nd, I am wondering what next week will look like. We will have a president and whether we agree...

Aquinnah: Bakery orders for Thanksgiving

This column feels a little outdated or behind the times this week, as I am writing this on Monday and Tuesday is Election Day. By the time this comes out, who knows what will...

Chilmark: Climate Change Working Group

I can't call elections, so please know my column was turned in Monday. I can recommend Suzanne Modligliani's son David Modigliani's new documentary, "Ready Or Not," which follows 17-year-old Black activist Marcel McClinton as...

Edgartown: Staying cautious yet positive

Happy November. I have to say that I am not a fan of turning our clocks back in the fall and it getting dark earlier for the next several months. But that first day...

Dog Charmer: Learning about Liddy

Dear Dog Charmer Tom, We rescued my dog about eight years ago and when we first got her she had some "guarding" issues. She was 3 years old and living in a foster home with...

Coming up at the West Tisbury library

On Friday, Nov. 6, at 8 am, Jason Mazar-Kelly continues teaching an all-levels virtual Kripalu Flow Yoga Class via Zoom. Contact wt_mail@clamsnet.org to sign up. At 10:30 am, ballerina Miss Shannon will host another...

Vineyard Haven library announces free online tutoring service

Through a generous grant from the Martha’s Vineyard Bank Charitable Foundation, Martha’s Vineyard libraries have new tools to assist parents and students with the challenges of this unusual school year. The Martha’s Vineyard Library...

Nobnocket Inn receives Conde Nast award

For the second year running the Nobnocket Boutique Inn in Vineyard Haven, operated by owners Annabelle and Simon Hunton, has won a coveted Conde Nast Johansens Award for Excellence. The inn, according to a...

Libraries present U.N. World Food Program talk

The Cape and Islands libraries will hold a virtual conversation with the U.N. World Food Program USA. The pandemic is expected to increase the number of severely hungry and malnourished people around the world...

Births

William Elliott D'Muhala Sarah Gruner and Christopher D'Muhala of West Tisbury announce the birth of a son, William Elliott D'Muhala, on Oct. 27, 2020, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. William weighed 8 pounds. Summer Breslin Haley Breslin and...

West Tisbury: Drive-through Halloween

It has been that hot, then cold, then hot again kind of weather this past week. I almost pulled out shorts to wear one morning. It can feel like sweater weather inside the house,...

Tisbury: Browsing in the backyard

Heard on Main Street: Beware. The goblins’ll get you if you don’t watch out. Celebrate Halloween with lots of spirit(s). Turn your clocks back Halloween night, and it will be daylight when your alarm goes...

Oak Bluffs: Afterschool programs at the Y

Vote messages are appearing everywhere and these are probably some of the most important messages we are sending to all those eligible these next few days. We all have our likes and dislikes for...

Edgartown: All Island School Committee

I love a productive weekend. It always gives me a strong sense of satisfaction to cross some things off of what always seems to be a very long to-do list. Chores seem to be...

Chilmark: Tales of haunted happenings

Halloween, the second full moon of the month, and now clocks are turning back an hour on Sunday, Nov. 1. Time is marching on and it seems all anyone wants to do is live...

Aquinnah: Library services and events

You have three more chances to vote in the election: today, Thursday, Oct. 29, and Friday, Oct. 30, from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm, and of course Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 3, from 7...

On My Mind: Strategies for pandemic helplessness

As a psychiatrist, I am accustomed to hearing people talk about marital crises, worries about aging parents and troubled children, and struggles with compulsive eating, substance use, and self-harm. But in all my decades...

This Was Then: Lost graves of Martha’s Vineyard

Jonathan Tilton, here he lies,  Nobody laughs and nobody cries;  Where he's gone and how he fares,  Nobody knows and nobody cares. Jonathan Tilton (1770–1837) of Tisbury was described by author Charles Hine as “one of the odd...
>