Thursday, October 21, 2021

On My Mind: A safe harbor in a storm

Imagine a young Islander whom I will call Becca. She was stationed in Afghanistan, saw her buddies killed, one right next to her. On returning to the Vineyard, she struggled with nightmares and flashbacks....

Writing from the Heart: Move it

In 1971, I was on the beach with my husband, who was reading an article in Newsweek. Listen to this, he said as he paraphrased, “Man is an animal. Man is supposed to move...

Visiting Vet: Mako’s miracle

The answering service relayed the message to me at 7 pm by quoting the client’s exact words — her dog, Mako, had eaten “a ridiculous number of vitamin D gelcaps.” Well, that can’t be...

Cribbage Club results

The Martha’s Vineyard Cribbage Club met on Sept. 22 at the American Legion Hall in Edgartown for another fun night of cribbage. Twenty-three players showed up to play. The results were: Mary Alice Russell in...

West Tisbury: Fire protection and safety

I am looking out the window at the changing colors across the tops of trees and shrubs I have planted over the years that Mike and I have had our home here in West...

Tisbury: ‘Two Wings to Heaven’

Heard on Main Street: Squirrels are nature’s little speed bumps. It was nice to have a call from Alan Wilder. He said he only spent three days at Cuttyhunk last year, so he is changing...

Oak Bluffs: Pop-up book sale

October is ready to greet us tomorrow. With open arms it waits to coax us into cooler winter, like a decompression chamber easing us into the inevitable change. “Warm October, cold February” declares the...

Edgartown: Fall fun at Farm Institute

I’m so far behind schedule this week. I’ve had a little bug problem in my kitchen, thanks to the dry dog food, and I’ve been working very hard to get rid of them. It’s...

Chilmark: Farm school and trail walks

Sunday on the beach, Lucy Vincent, with Island families, Islanders getting their first beach day since the summer began and many, many dogs in tow. There was a small Stonehenge created by a 14-year-old....

Aquinnah: Indigenous Peoples Day

It’s about time! The first annual Indigenous Peoples Day will be held at Felix Neck on Monday, Oct. 11, from 2 to 4 pm. This is a collaboration between the Aquinnah Cultural Center and...

Elder Law: Keeping family feuds from becoming legal feuds

There are as many reasons for family feuds as there are families; all are unique. In most cases, but certainly not all, they are about money. If the feud cannot be righted by the...

M.V. Center for Living: Family Caregiver & Dementia Support Services

Individualized support to meet your specific caregiving needs and challenges. Long-term caregiving, whether for a parent, spouse, or friend, can be stressful and put a caregiver’s own health at risk. The Family Caregiver Support...

Veterans Corner: VA annual report shows decrease in veteran suicides

New data included in the Department of Veterans Affairs 2021 National Veteran Suicide Prevention Annual Report notably shows a decrease from 2018 to 2019 in the total number of veteran suicide deaths, and a...

55Plus: SHINE News

Open Enrollment 2021 and your Serving Health Information Needs of Everyone program By Sept. 30, each Medicare beneficiary should have received an annual notice of coverage, which included important information regarding Medicare costs and benefits....

Up-Island Council on Aging — October 2021

The Up-Island Council on Aging will be closed on Oct. 11, reopening Oct. 12. Yoga with Shanta! Thursdays at 9:30 am Yoga with Shanta is a very gentle style that includes using a chair, standing, and...

Edgartown Council on Aging — October 2021

The Edgartown Council on Aging serves as an information and referral source to long-term services and supports available to older adults. Masks are required in all town buildings. In-person programs are subject to cancellation...

Oak Bluffs Council on Aging — October 2021

The OBCOA has a modified reopening plan. Contact Rose via email at rcogliano@oakbluffsma.gov, or call her at 508-693-4509, ext. 3, for more information or to sign up for all programs below. Monday Morning Exercise Group,...

Tisbury Council on Aging — October 2021

The Tisbury Council on Aging has reopened, and is bringing groups back. For questions, additional information, or to sign up for programs, call us at 508-696-4205. Upcoming events Oct. 14, legal clinic by appointment with...

Academic honors

Dean’s list Kanika Datta of Oak Bluffs, at MCPHS University. Evelyn Medeiros of Vineyard Haven, at MCPHS University. Henry David Thoreau Society induction Zachary Bresnick of West Tisbury.  

Advice from the pros

As Islanders get ready to hunker down for the fall and winter, lawns and gardens are preparing to go dormant during the cold season — a good time to do some maintenance and prep...
>