Oak Bluffs: Acts of kindness

Remember when life was so much simpler? If you needed to make a phone call, you would dial the number, with no area code needed, or if you wanted to go further back, when...

Edgartown: Learning something new

I sat down to write this column on Sunday night, and put it away. I was feeling a little overwhelmed with the state of the world, and didn’t want to write from that vantage...

Chilmark: Summer activities

Back to summer beach days, sunshine, and family. Chilmark lost one of its brightest lights, Betty Eddy, only eight days after reaching her 100th birthday. Condolences to her extended family members, and to the...

Aquinnah: Outdoor market and dining

Rest in peace to John Lewis and the Rev. C.T. Vivian, who both fought tirelessly against racism and oppression in America for decades. They died on the same day. While the work they did...

This Was Then: Swept aground

It was ten o’clock on a Monday night, August 24,1931. The steamer Naushon was arriving in Vineyard Haven from New Bedford via Woods Hole, with an unusually small number of passengers (28), and a...

M.V. Medal recipients honored

There are some people on Martha’s Vineyard who carry the distinctive mark of our community on their shoulders wherever they go, constantly devoting their time and energy to making our Island home a better...

What’s coming up at the West Tisbury library

On Friday, July 24, at 8 am, Jason Mazar-Kelly will continue teaching an all-levels Kripalu Flow Yoga Class via Zoom through the West Tisbury library. Contact wt_mail@clamsnet.org to sign up. At 11:30 am, Kanta...

M.V. Bank funds tablets for YMCA summer camp

The YMCA of Martha’s Vineyard received a $5,000 grant from the Martha’s Vineyard Bank Charitable Foundation, a philanthropic unit of the Martha’s Vineyard Bank, to fund 50 tablets for the Y’s summer camp. According...

Felix Neck offers Sanctuary Supper at Home

Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary and wellness entrepreneur Ky Keenan, the founder of Not Your Sugar Mamas, Frankie's Flatbreads, and Well Retreats, collaborate to offer high-vibe living, plant-based experiences in private homes. The purpose of...

Have Faith: Sundays at the Tabernacle

This year marks the 185th anniversary of religious services held at the Tabernacle in Oak Bluffs, and the Spiritual Life committee of the Martha's Vineyard Camp Meeting Association (MVCMA) wasn't about to let the...

Home on COVID’s terms

When Allyse Guyther set off for Boston College in September 2019, nothing could’ve brought her down. The MVRHS graduate took to city life right away, basking in the college experience and making friends with...

Take a hike!

Forget the 20-mile treks and long, interstate drives — the hardest part of writing a guidebook to New England hiking was whittling down which places to include. I could have devoted an entire chapter...

Births

Johannes Calvin Hofer Heather Hofer and Patrick Hofer of Edgartown announce the birth of a son, Johannes Calvin Hofer, on July 14, 2020, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Johannes weighed 8 pounds, 7 ounces.  

Academic honors

Graduation William M. Simon of Chilmark, from Boston University.   Dean's list Camden Emery of Vineyard Haven, at Champlain College. Dunovan Taylor Belisle of Edgartown, at UMass Amherst. Michelle Lauren Herrick of Edgartown, at UMass Amherst. Paulo Fernando Pereira Filho of...

History, culture, and sculpture

Oak Bluffs has long been known for its rich history, specifically when it comes to African American culture. This is the legacy that Mariposa Museum hopes to emphasize with its newest exhibit, “Freedom Songs!” Mariposa...

This Was Then: 10 minutes to Boston

In August 1807, Dr. James Freeman visited the port of Holmes Hole (today, Vineyard Haven). He described a rustic village consisting of about 70 homes, two schoolhouses, one church, 11 vessels, and one huge,...

West Tisbury: Slowing down, taking notice

White petals covered the lawn beneath a kousa dogwood tree in my backyard, making the ground look like there had been a summer snowfall, leaving the tree itself a tall green sentinel. The flowers...

Tisbury: Upcoming literature series

Heard on Main Street: If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it. We are all tired of masks and that whole issue. Today I saw some people,...

Oak Bluffs: Reaching out to others

Much is different, yet some things remain the same. As in years past, gardeners are proudly showing off their early crop yields of tomatoes and cucumbers. It seems impossible to me to acknowledge that...

Edgartown: Collaborative fundraiser

We are officially in the high point of summer now, though things have definitely quieted down a little bit after the Fourth of July. It’s still busy, which I guess is good for the...