Monday, January 25, 2021

Visiting Vet: The jury is still out

One of my favorite families lost two dearly loved dogs in recent years, so I was delighted when they arrived at my door, pre-pandemic, with Joy, their new 5-month-old golden retriever. In the past,...

West Tisbury: Town services

Our whole living room is perfumed by a pot of paperwhite narcissus that opened in time for New Year’s Day. Mike brought them home to me a couple of weeks ago. They were all...

Tisbury: ‘The Splendid and the Vile’

Heard on Main Street: New Year’s resolution: Do whatever your Rice Krispies tell you to do. I used to hear my brother-in-law speak with a catch in his breath about how profoundly he admired all...

Oak Bluffs: Remembering from the heart

When you say the year 2021, it still sounds like a science fiction book to me. But let’s turn it into a year that is better in any way that previous years have been....

Edgartown: A shift in perspective

Happy New Year! Goodbye 2020. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Welcome 2021. I saw a post on Facebook that said something to the effect of: “To 2021: Remember, you...

Chilmark: Shared Use Path

As I wrap my orange scarf around my neck I realize hunting season has officially ended, despite gunshots heard on my Saturday morning Peaked Hill walk. We loved taking advantage of Black Dog Tavern's...

Aquinnah: Library events in winter

I hope everyone had good holidays and a peaceful start to the New Year. Most of all I hope that we all stay healthy this year. The holidays passed by in a bit of...

Births: Dec. 29, 2020 – Jan. 2, 2021

Felix Robert Becker Emily Becker and Oliver Becker of West Tisbury announce the birth of a son, Felix Robert Becker, on Dec. 29, 2020, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Felix weighed 7 pounds, 11 ounces. Anderson Elizabeth...

West Tisbury: A fresh start in the new year

Hot, then cold, then hot again, then cold again. This weather is so unpredictable, one more unpredictable quality of an extremely unpredictable year. One can only hope that 2021 will be better. Most everyone...

Tisbury: Staying safe in the new year

Heard on Main Street: You understand the 12 Days of Christmas are necessary to allow time for the holiday mail to arrive. That’s why it should really be 12 ‘mailmen’ in the song. Most in...

Oak Bluffs: Council on Aging message

“Ah, Friends, dear friends, as years go on and heads get gray, How fast the guests do go! Touch hands, touch hands, with those that stay. Strong hands to weak, old hands to young, around the...

Edgartown: Keeping the holidays alive

I’m sitting on the couch, Foster the dog sitting so close he could be typing this, relishing in the post-Christmas glow and happiness. I hope everyone had a joyous holiday season, whatever holiday you...

Chilmark: Preserving local history

I'm standing on the steps of the Menemsha General Store, open year-round, the sky a perfect summer blue, there's a breeze and my family is visiting. At least I can daydream about better days...

Aquinnah: Story of the wishing tree

Well folks, it’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for since about March: the end of 2020. For many communities, the past few years have been difficult, but this year spared no one in...

After the pandemic

The vaccines are being shipped, and we’re beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel. And maybe, just maybe, the new normal will stop being normal, and we can get back...

Up-Island Council on Aging – January 2021

As we enter our first full winter of the COVID-19 pandemic, it has never been so important for us to stay together while spending so much time apart. Despite our current limitations, we encourage...

Tisbury Council on Aging – January 2021

The Tisbury Council on Aging continues to do outreach to keep in touch with our seniors. We are starting a new year, and hopefully it will be a better one. We are still working...

Edgartown Council on Aging – January 2021

The staff at the Edgartown Council on Aging continue to provide weekly meal delivery, outreach services, and referrals, Monday to Friday between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm. For the most up-to-date...

Can I change my Medicare plan after Open Enrollment?

Even though Medicare’s annual Open Enrollment ended on Dec. 7, 2020, you may still have some options: For those with Medicare Parts A and B (Original Medicare): You can add a Medicare Supplement (Medigap Plan)...

Elder Law: The planning you need to qualify for MassHealth

In previous columns I have explained how, whether you are single or married, you can always qualify for MassHealth, however, for each the planning is different. If you’re married, plan ahead if you want to...
>