Sunday, April 11, 2021

Saudade: News from and for the Brazilian community/Notícias de e para a comunidade brasileira

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no nosso site: mvtimes.com/category/portuguese—translation. I have started to hear from some Brazilian folks who have taken the COVID-19 vaccine at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. It brings me so much joy...

Oak Bluffs: Annual town election

Welcome spring with the sunnier days true to the predictions at last. Our family spent Sunday last raking away barrels of leaves and allowing the early daffodils and crocus to stretch toward the sunlight...

West Tisbury: Plant nursery centers

I was happily surprised to wake up Friday morning to snow blowing past my windows. It had already coated the ground and looked like it might be settling in for a blustery, snow-long day....

Tisbury: Composting food waste

Heard on Main Street: Friends are like balloons; once you let them go, you might not get them back. Sometimes we get so busy with our own lives that we may not even notice...

Edgartown: Featherstone videos

Happy Spring! We made it. Flowers are beginning to bloom, birds are singing, the sun is shining, and we’ve actually hit 50 degrees or more, at least for a little while. I was actually...

Chilmark: Garden Wisdom workshops

Did you balance an egg during the vernal equinox? I guess we're all hoping for an early spring. I'm still adjusting to dark mornings and sundown after dinner. It was great to see lambs...

Aquinnah: Martha’s Vineyard Film Festival

While all large in-person events have been cancelled on the Island, many arts organizations are doing amazing work online. The Martha’s Vineyard Playhouse is showing “The Niceties” with Amy Breneman and Tsilala Brock streaming...

Academic honors

Dean’s list Miles Thornton of Edgartown, at Emerson College.  

Births

Madeline Leilani Bradshaw Marguerite Smith and Maximilian Bradshaw of West Tisbury announce the birth of a daughter, Madeline Leilani Bradshaw, on March 15, 2021, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Madeline weighed 8 pounds, 7 ounces. Iasmin Araujo...

Have Faith: Easter and Passover

It's that time of year, when I ask Island clergy about Passover and Easter services. It's also that time of year when they're probably busiest. The Martha's Vineyard Hebrew Center offers a special Zoom program,...

This Was Then: Doppelgängers and namesakes

Our Island shares its names with people, places, and products around the world, some for historically connected reasons and others by coincidence, complicating our Google searches and rerouting our Amazon orders. Tisbury and Chilmark on...

Writing from the Heart: Hello, my name is Grief

My sister died on Dec. 2. A week later I was Googling houses and land for sale in Vermont. I emailed a friend and asked her why she had moved to Quechee, a small...

On my mind: Secrets

Though she kept it a secret from her mother and grandparents, on a typical night, a 17-year-old Martha’s Vineyard High School student was a blackout drinker. She was filled with shame about “sneaking around...

Visiting Vet: Cause and effect

The night before my father died, he had liver and onions for dinner at the Howard Johnson’s where we were staying in Milwaukee. My dad was raised poor in Brooklyn by immigrant parents, which...

Dog Charmer: Pearl’s in a panic

Hi Tom, Please help me with the following question: Pearl is a happy, curious and usually intrepid 4-month-old puppy, but now, suddenly fearful of situations she used to enjoy — a short walk in the...

West Tisbury: March celebrations

I have just been outside walking barefoot in my yard, the first time this year. The weather has been unbelievable, a whole week of those perfect early spring days that feel warm at 45...

Tisbury: William Faulkner books

Heard on Main Street: It used to be only death and taxes. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling too. Last week I enjoyed a restful half hour with Anna Yukevich; she was singing and...

Oak Bluffs: Cancer support group

Another Monday has rolled around with just a couple of changes. We are now on daylight savings time and it is so pleasant to still have sun shining at 7 pm. However, the extreme...

Edgartown: Vaccinations and schools

Winter has come back to visit after some beautiful spring weather last week. But this is the time of year that I know it can’t hold tight with an iron fist. The sun and...

Chilmark: Island bee products

We got a taste of spring before being reminded it's still winter. It's the first time I've seen Island Bee Company proprietors tending their Chilmark bees at Native Earth Teaching Farm. Tim Colon and...
>