Sunday, August 1, 2021

Voyager and Navigator programs donate to Island Autism Group

The Island Autism Group accepted a check from Purple Paws and the Coffee Clipper, two projects in the Martha’s Vineyard High School Voyager and Navigator programs, in the amount of $1,500 from Purple Paws...

Dance the blues away

There is a dance party planned, thanks to the Chilmark Public Library and the Chilmark Community Center, on Tuesday, July 20, from 6:30 pm at the community center. Johnny Hoy and the Bluefish provide...

Cribbage Club

On July 7, 22 players showed up at the Vineyard Cribbage Club’s weekly tournament at the American Legion Hall in Edgartown. Six games are played, with two points for a win, zero for a...

Academic honors

Graduation Emily Tully of Chilmark, from Bucknell University. Isabella Rose Canham of Vineyard Haven, from Massachusetts Maritime Academy. Alison Daigle of Edgartown, from Curry College. Steven James Perzanowski of Vineyard Haven, from Western New England University. Katherine Cronin of...

Births

Riggs Stone Hale Laura Hale and James Hale of Vineyard Haven announce the birth of a son, Riggs Stone Hale, on July 1, 2021, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Riggs weighed 6 pounds, 3.2 ounces, and...

Until we meet again

One July day in the summer of 1979, 41 years ago, I made a trip from Manhattan to Martha’s Vineyard. I was in search of a place where my creativity could flourish, my love...

Have Faith: Waiting on God

My patience went out the window a long time ago, and I'm still waiting for its unlikely return. I think my whole family might be waiting. It gets especially difficult this time of year,...

Of mink and Mink Meadows

Mink once lived on Martha’s Vineyard. When writer James Freeman made an inventory of the wild animals he found on a visit to the Island in 1807, he listed: “Besides domestick animals, the quadrupeds...

Visiting Vet: Belvedere is back on his feet

“I think my dog is paralyzed,” the owner said when he called on emergency one afternoon. “He’s fourteen, a Labrador. Something’s really wrong.” I get a million of these calls. Elderly large breed dogs...

Writing from the Heart: Words run deep

This piece isn’t about the fact that my first affair was with a girl, although that is a fact. It’s about how one spoken line, a few words, can change a life, a mood,...

Dogcharmer: Loss hits hard

Dear Tom, I have not seen you at Trade Winds lately. We are the couple with two Goldens, Chloe, 6, and Bonnie, 14 and a half. They have been together since Chloe was a puppy. Sadly, Bonnie...

West Tisbury: Joys of summer

It’s the prelude to 4th of July weekend, a quietly rainy Friday of what may turn out to be a quietly rainy holiday weekend. I am grateful that our house is set back in...

Tisbury: Tom Dresser’s latest book

Heard on Main Street: When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane. I learned that two small bands of musicians were entertaining a small crowd even in the light mist on Friday evening...

Oak Bluffs: Summer reading program

My favorite, the Old Farmer’s Almanac, has these words of wisdom: “Scientists estimate that a single ragweed plant can release 1 billion grains of pollen over the course of a season.” That explains the...

Edgartown: When in Rome…

Well, the holiday weekend was a bit of a washout, wasn’t it? Just like Memorial Day weekend, the 4th of July brought us cold, wind, and rains. I hope that it proved good for...

Chilmark: Outdoor concerts

I've lived on the Vineyard 16 years and have never seen the likes of last weekend's traffic. Lines snaking in every direction while backed up cars try to get into the flea, the farmers...

Aquinnah: Cultural Center exhibit

The Aquinnah 4th of July parade was fun even without the beach treasure hunt. For the second year in a row, the parade was limited to “floats” (cars decorated in incredibly fun ways), and...

Cribbage Club

On June 30, 20 players showed up at the Vineyard Cribbage Club’s weekly tournament  at the American Legion Hall in Edgartown. Six games are played, with two points for a win, zero for a...

West Tisbury library book sale returns

The annual West Tisbury library book sale is on this year after being canceled last summer. The sale takes place Monday, July 26, through Monday, August 2, from 9 am to 2 pm. The...

Births

Caolán Massey Mailey Sarah Mailey and Michael Mailey of Vineyard Haven announce the birth of a son, Caolán Massey Mailey, on June 17, 2021, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Caolán weighed 7 pounds, 9.6 ounces. Rowan Jean...
>