Thursday, May 26, 2022

Births

Andrew Thomas Sherman Jr. Jasmine Sherman and Andrew Sherman of Aquinnah announce the birth of a son, Andrew Thomas Sherman Jr., on May 4, 2022, at Martha’s Vineyard Hospital. Andrew weighed 7 pounds, 2 ounces.  Taylor...

Chilmark General Store opening for the season

The beloved Chilmark General Store is opening on Friday, May 13, for their regular season. The opening of the Island establishment, which draws many locals, visitors, and worldwide celebrities alike to enjoy delicious pizza...

Get your garden started

On four spring Fridays, the West Tisbury library and Island Grown Initiative will be collaborating to make take-home container garden kits for the public. Giveaways will be in the library parking lot on the...

Unitarian Universalist Society fundraiser

The Unitarian Universalist Society of Martha’s Vineyard offers an online fundraiser from Friday, May 13, through Sunday, May 22.  There are many items to bid on in this online auction, including jewelry, two tickets to...

Applications open for MVM scholarship

The Martha’s Vineyard Museum (MVM) recently announced applications for the 2022 “Whale of an Idea” scholarship — a business startup pitch competition for young aspiring entrepreneurs.  The scholarship was established in 2019 to provide financial...

Cribbage Results

The Vineyard Cribbage Club met with 22 players on Wednesday evening at the American Legion Hall for another fun evening of cribbage. The results are as follows:  First place, Colin Evanson with a 13/6 +102...

Dogcharmer: My dog was attacked by another dog

Hello,   I have a situation my friend said you might be able to help me with. My dog was attacked by a large pit bull. I’m wondering if he’ll ever get over it.  Thank you, Mary Ann Dear...

Edgartown: Little bits of normalcy

The calendar says mid-May. I know it does. But this weather? It has winter written all over it. What is with this wind and chill in the air? It’s got me all mixed up...

Faith and Climate Change: What is your view?

By Mardi Moran Mardi Moran is a member of both Grace Episcopal Church and the Martha's Vineyard Hebrew Center. She is part of the Interfaith Climate Action Team's writers committee, and in this column she...

Oak Bluffs: Flower Supermoon

“I’ve never seen a moon in the sky that, if it didn’t take my breath away, at least misplaced it for a moment.”  –Colin Farrell The May full moon is known as “the Flower Moon,”...

Second Acts

Is it something in the air we breathe? Or the light that shines here? Is it literally being an island, floating freely away from the constraints of the mainland? Is there something that is...

West Tisbury: Dear Zeke

May flowers. May apples. Shadbush. Every day brings something new. That’s the magic of this time of year, and it all happens so quickly, seemingly overnight.  Harriet Bernstein’s cherry trees that I mentioned last week...

Tisbury: A phenomenal upset

Heard on Main Street: When in doubt, just take the next small step. I can’t believe I missed the Kentucky Derby this year. A phenomenal upset, with a horse carrying odds of 80 to 1...

Chilmark: Slow Down for Stella

You could construe Middle Road just north of town hall as a massive construction zone with a mountain of dirt rising from Beetlebung Farm, as tall as nearby trees, while just west of the...

Visiting Vet: The cat and the carrier

It’s one of life’s little mysteries — the fact that cats love to explore, investigating every tiny hidey-hole they can find, crawling inside paper bags, sleeping in cardboard boxes, but try to put a...

Planting seeds

The encompassing, floor-to-ceiling wall photograph of the sanctuary of the first Martha’s Vineyard Hebrew Center warmly embraces us as we walk into “They Planted the Seeds: Creating Jewish Community on Martha's Vineyard.” The exhibition...

The Write Prescription: Taking turns

I hear the Tinkerbell melody of the washing machine down in the basement. This is the second load of laundry my husband is doing today. Two years ago, he couldn’t have told you where...

Brazilian Voices: A letter to my fellow Brazilians

Editor’s note: This new Brazilian Voices series was developed and is curated by longtime Brazilian columnist Juliana Germani.  When I reflect on our Brazilian community on Martha’s Vineyard, I am filled with emotion. I feel...

On My Way: Biking Pennywise Path

I had wanted to be back in the saddle for some time. It had been a few months. Usually, a few times over the winter on a Sunday afternoon, I bundle up and set...