Friday, September 23, 2022

Celebration of life for Albert W. Warren Jr.

There will be a celebration of life for Albert W. Warren Jr. on Sunday, Sept. 18, 3 to 5 pm, at the P.A. Club. Please bring a potluck dish, some photos, a memento, and...

Minton Forman Goldman

Professor Minton Forman Goldman died on August 31, 2022. Born in Manhattan to Julius and Hessie Forman Goldman, Minton attended DeWitt Clinton High School in New York City. He went to the College of William...

Service for William Dean Holtham

A memorial service to celebrate the life of William Dean Holtham will be held at the Chilmark Community Center on Saturday, Oct. 1, from 1 to 4 pm. Friends and family are invited to...

John Callahan Jr.

John Callahan Jr., 84, of Edgartown and Bonita Springs, Fla., passed away on Sept. 1, 2022. He was the husband of Barbara J. Callahan.  A complete obituary will appear in a later edition of this...

Service for Margaret DeVane Logue

A celebration of life for Margaret DeVane Logue will be held on Monday, Sept. 19, at 4 pm at the Martha’s Vineyard Agricultural Society, on Panhandle Road in West Tisbury. The family invites you...

Thomas E. Kennedy Jr.

Thomas E. Kennedy Jr., 62, of Vineyard Haven, passed away peacefully in his sleep at home on Thursday, August 4, 2022. Tom was born in Waterbury, Conn., on Feb. 21, 1960, the son of Janet...

Have Faith: A new spiritual leader

I first met Rabbi Giulia Fleishman years ago when I was working at the West Tisbury library. She exudes the word “kindness” from the moment you meet her. Giulia is still involved with the...

On My Way: To the fair

I wheeled my bike out of the shed. I took my helmet from the peg. My water bottle was full, and I was wearing sunscreen. Ahead of me, not more than a 45-minute bike ride,...

Second Acts

This installment of Second Acts started out as a profile on Steve Ewing, dockbuilder-poet. If ever there was a Vineyarder finding his “other self,” it’s Steve, a man who drives 20-foot pilings into sand...

Catherine Kerr Browne

Catherine Roselyn Kerr Browne, recently of Vineyard Haven, passed away peacefully on July 20, 2022. She was the wife of Dr. Faust C. Browne of Indian Harbor Beach, Fla., and Needham.  Catherine was born on...

Penelope Curtiss Pease

Penelope Curtiss Pease (“Penny”) died peacefully at home in Harthaven in Oak Bluffs on August 1, 2022, at the age of 98. She was born on Dec. 16, 1923 in New Britain, Conn., to Mary...

The Write Prescription: Seeing magic

It’s 5:30 in the morning, and I’m trying to figure out if I want to kayak. The conditions are just the way I like them. Calm and foggy. I had just kayaked the morning...

Celebration of the Sara Joy Mayhew Parsonage

On Sunday Sept. 4, the Federated Church in Edgartown will celebrate the past, present, and the future of the Mayhew Parsonage. Visitors are invited to visit the historic building from 12:30 to 2 pm....

Vineyard Haven library fundraiser with Geraldine Brooks

Pulitzer prizewinning author Geraldine Brooks will discuss her latest novel, "Horse," in an event to benefit the Vineyard Haven Public Library on Wednesday, Sept. 7, at 5 pm, outdoors at the Tashmoo Spring Waterworks...

Births

John David Nisbet Katie Nisbet and Aiden Nisbet of Oak Bluffs announce the birth of a son, John David Nisbet, on August 16, 2022, at Martha’s Vineyard Hospital. John weighed 7 pounds, 11 ounces.  

West Tisbury: Woods sigh in relief

While not exactly “a song of praise or triumph,” as my Oxford English Dictionary defines it, I begin this column with a paean to rain. Specifically, a paean to the long, soaking, much-needed rain...

Tisbury: Burning Patience

The Vineyard Haven library has a new program that I wish I could do. Yoga With Kat or Chair Yoga for Arthritis starts Monday, Sept. 12, at 11 to 11:50 am for six weeks,...

Oak Bluffs: Polar Bears

“I am the source of my joy and infinite possibilities.”  –Martha’s Vineyard Polar Bears mantra The “Today Show” did a piece about our own Martha’s Vineyard Polar Bears on August 24, with video footage and...

Edgartown: Back to school

Eek! Sitting down to type this, and had to enter the date. Sept. 1. How did that happen? I scared myself. The itty-bitty panics are starting, as we teachers face our return to school...

Chilmark: Farmstands and softball

The summer season at the Yard closed with Ephrat Asherie's fantastic company premiering a work that will soon be presented at NYC's Guggenheim Museum, and had most of the audience up and dancing, then...