Sunday, August 1, 2021

Visiting Vet: Mushroom mayhem

It’s been a particularly soggy July. Everything’s damp. Even the dry laundry doesn’t feel dry. And let’s not talk about my hair. Know what likes this humid weather? Mushrooms. My yard is erupting with...

West Tisbury: Book sale and doozying up

Mornings have been overcast. A few days have turned sunny by the afternoon, but most have remained the archetypal hazy, hot, and humid most of us expect of summer weather. I wish it would...

Tisbury: Lilac Girls and Sunflower Sisters

Heard on Main Street: We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty, and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colors, but they all have...

Oak Bluffs: Craft Fair and Dream Fund

This time of year I love to hear the voices of the children in the neighborhood at dusk as they play and shout around their yards, perhaps cheering on someone in a game of...

Edgartown: Yacht Club races and summer soiree

We are at the halfway mark of July. How are you holding up? I could do with some dry, sunny days. I feel like everything is getting musty and moldy, including me. But we...

Chilmark: Flea market and jazz concert

Foggy days bode well for our markets, though go early to beat the crowds, especially for Maple Mehndi at the Chilmark Flea. One cool thing is Vaalbara Designs founder, Emily Prescott, mans her table...

Aquinnah: Circle Time and Mobile Market

The Annual Aquinnah Native Artisans Market and Aquinnah Public Safety Day were held this Saturday and I have never seen so many people there. The event may have been helped by the weather, which...

Possible Dreams coming true this weekend

Martha’s Vineyard Community Services’ 43rd Possible Dreams, hosted by Seth Meyers, takes place this Sunday, July 25, at 5 pm, streaming live from the historic Tilton Farm in West Tisbury. This year’s Possible Dreams boasts...

Fourth Annual Legacy Week from the HBCU returns

The week of July 24 to 31 marks the return of the Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Brand Partners Legacy Week. This year, the HBCU and all those attending the events will be celebrating...

Births

Ian Matthew Rossi Aline Leite and Matthew Rossi of Edgartown announce the birth of a son, Ian Matthew Rossi, on July 15, 2021, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Ian weighed 8 pounds, 15 ounces, and he...

Academic honors

Dean's List Katherine Cronin of Edgartown, at Hamilton College. Katharine Roberts of Vineyard Haven, at Hamilton College. Joseph Serpa of Edgartown, at University of Michigan. Gabriel Ambulos of Chilmark, at Gettysburg College.  

Just works

Just past the restaurants and shops on Circuit Ave. in Oak Bluffs, you can see the green and black sign of the Mariposa Museum. The museum’s exterior is unassuming, blending into the surrounding buildings. Once...

Linda Carnegie can paint anything

If you’ve spent enough on the Martha’s Vineyard you’ve probably seen Linda Carnegie’s artwork. She does large murals, intricate designs on furniture, portraits of houses, animal alphabet nameplates, and just about anything else — if...

Summer worship in Oak Bluffs

Oak Bluffs is home to some of the most historic churches on the Island that are still in use today. The Tabernacle and Union Chapel both date back to the late 1800s, cementing themselves...

Saudade: News from and for the Brazilian community/Notícias de e para a comunidade brasileira

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no nosso site: mvtimes.com/category/portuguese—translation/. What is the Child Tax Credit? This week's column is another opportunity to discuss the Child Tax Credit, which starts this week on Thursday, July 15....

Tisbury: Library’s program room

Heard on Main Street: Enjoy this life; you only have one opportunity. The Vineyard Haven Band will be playing in Owen Park three times this year. One is next Sunday. Make a note: Sunday, July...

Oak Bluffs: Beauty all around

I find I am starting my days differently these past months. I used to turn on the television to watch the news, and read the Boston Globe from cover to cover during breakfast. But...

Edgartown: Propane for PTA

This is truly one weird summer. The weather is all over the place, though sunshine has been at a minimum these days. Sometimes we go somewhere and the crowds are a nightmare. But then...

Chilmark: Magical trail and book festival

My son and I took our dogs to Island Folk Pottery's Magical Trail for our first walk. We immediately met three generations of the Rubens family. Bunny, the youngest family member, noticed all the...

Aquinnah: Old, new, borrowed, blue

I got the opportunity to speak with Bradford (Brad) Lopes II, the new program director at the Aquinnah Cultural Center this week. He is the grandson and namesake of Aquinnah Wampanoag tribal elder Bradford...
>