Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Community

Joseph Felton Wardell III

It is with great sadness that the family of Joseph Felton Wardell III announce his peaceful passing on March 2, 2024, in Da Nang, Vietnam.  Born on March 11, 1962, Joe lived both a rich...

The High School View: Women of MV Club; Work studies program; Solar eclipse

Read the MVRHS High School View: 4-11-2024 The High School View is staffed and prepared entirely by students from the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School, and published on their behalf by the Martha’s Vineyard Times,...

Museum Pieces: What’s in your garden?

“To have a devoted neighbor rob her own garden to give you plants that shriek at your own plants and devastate your scheme of decoration, is about as unhappy a garden situation as can...

Rick Sullo

Rick Sullo, a Cambridge resident since the mid-1960s, passed away on April 3, 2024, at his beloved seasonal home on the Island of Martha’s Vineyard. He was 81. He loved the beauty of the Island,...

Services for Kirk Safford

There will be a memorial service for Kirk Safford, who died on Jan. 10, 2024, on April 27 at the Chilmark Church, at 11 am, followed by a celebration of his life at the...

Sara Trimble

Sara Trimble Glendinning died at home on April 2, just days short of her 81st birthday. Sara was a force! Born to Ann (“Nancy”) Wilson Glendinning and William Trimble Glendinning in Cleveland, Ohio, she spent...

John Svetz

John A. Svetz, 89, of Oak Bluffs passed away on April 5, 2024, after a brief illness, and is now with the Lord he served. John was born on May 11, 1934, in Corry, Pa.,...

Gaston Vadasz

Gaston Vadasz died at home in the early morning hours of April 2, 2024, after a long battle with metastatic prostate cancer. His remarkable life, from the time he was an infant hidden from...

Have Faith: My friend Kelly

I met Kelly Homan Rodoski (just Homan back then) almost 30 years ago when I took a job at the Catholic Sun back in Syracuse. I started off as a regional writer and she...

Choral magic

Three Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School (MVRHS) music students achieved a pretty lofty honor recently. After a highly competitive audition process, high school junior Aiden Weiland, senior Samuel Hines, and sophomore Zyler Flanders were...

Visiting Vet: Vaccines work

The pandemic has taught us many things … from how to “Zoom” to how little many Americans understand science, especially the concept of herd immunity. Now, I know you may not like to think of...

Writing from the Heart: Just the facts, ma’am

I love Mark Twain’s line, “Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.” So here is a story of how I let a good story get in the way of...

Dogcharmer: Conan’s not calm

Dear Dog Charmer, Our dog Conan is a one-year-old German Shepherd who is very friendly with people and impossibly aggressive when it comes to other dogs. At 90 pounds, I can't hold him back any...

A Beacon: Between worlds

The starkness of my new mental wellness still overwhelms me. Electroconvulsive therapy definitely seems like something worth looking into, though few people experience it as the panacea it has proven for me. It feels...

Programming peace

The world would be much better if many national leaders worldwide had participated in Martha’s Vineyard Mediation’s Youth Program as children. Since 2017, the thorough and engaging curriculum has touched some 650 Island students...

West Tisbury: Income taxes, elder services, planting trees, library programs, and plant nurseries

Our dining room table has finally been returned to its tranquil self after a week of serving as income tax preparation central. Mike and I signed and sealed and stamped our envelopes, then used...

Tisbury: ‘Wonka,’ book club, Ukraine discussion, home energy, poetry, and right whales

Heard on Main Street: Since it's the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, you should sleep late. I was a very little girl when I saw my first eclipse, about 3 or 4....

Oak Bluffs: Clothing swap, marathon runners, spring sports, Minnesingers, and Tree Stewards

“Snow in April is abominable,” said Anne. “Like a slap in the face when you were expecting a kiss.” —L.M. Montgomery, “Anne of Ingleside” Luckily, we did not get the April snow that many on...

Edgartown: Island beaches, Perry Garfinkel, Community Sing, and Animal Rescue League

It seemed like it wasn’t very long ago that I was noting that March came in like a lamb. I won’t say it went out like a lion, but the end of March and...

Chilmark: Linda Fischer, League of Women Voters, First Light Cafe, and Christina Montoya

Undeterred by the horrid wet, wind, and cold, vast patches of daffodils are blooming along the roads in Chilmark. Tomorrow is the one-year anniversary of my father’s death. I will no longer be able to...