Thursday, September 22, 2022

Aquinnah: Focus group and senior transportation

The Aquinnah Wampanoag Powwow did not disappoint. While Saturday was remarkably warm, people came in droves to celebrate. There were many familiar faces among the regalia-clad dancers, singers, and musicians, but there were others...

Joan Nathan on food and community

The  Martha’s Vineyard Museum hosts a special event with celebrated cookbook author and food historian Joan Nathan on Sunday, Sept. 18, from 10 am to 12 pm. The author will explore the intersection of...

Cribbage Club results

The Vineyard Cribbage Club met on Wednesday to play our favorite game at the American Legion Hall in Edgartown. Twenty of us played six games, with two points for a win, and three points for...

Births

Oona Sal Osnoss Faren Worthington and Oliver Osnoss of West Tisbury announce the birth of a daughter, Oona Sal Osnoss, on August 30, 2022, at Martha’s Vineyard Hospital. Oona weighed 7 pounds, 15 ounces. Samuel S....

Christine M. Smith

Christine M. Smith died peacefully on August 23, 2022, at her home in Edgartown. She was 81 years old.  Gesa Christiana Martinoff was born on March 6, 1941, to Ralph Martinoff and Waldtraut Dorothea von...

Bellissimo – Bates

Elisabeth Bellissimo and Joshua Bates were married on Sept. 10, 2022, at the Winnetu Oceanside Resort in Edgartown. The bride’s parents are Michael and Barbara Bellissimo of West Tisbury. The groom’s parents are Debbie...

Academic honors

President’s list Shaina McDonald of Vineyard Haven, at Southern New Hampshire University. Dean’s list Ashley Fauteux of Edgartown, at Southern New Hampshire University. Taylor Rogers of Vineyard Haven, at Southern New Hampshire University. Henry David Thoreau Scholarship Ingrid R. Moore...

Bruce E. Doten

A memorial service for Bruce E. Doten will be held on Saturday, Oct. 8, at 11 am at the Federated Church, 45 South Summer St., Edgartown. All are welcome. 

John Callahan Jr.

John Callahan Jr., a resident of Bonita Springs, Fla., former long-term resident of Huntington, N.Y., and part-time resident of West Tisbury, passed away on Sept. 1, 2022.  He was born in Hoosick Falls, N.Y. to...

West Tisbury: Memories new and old

Because of Labor Day, we have an early deadline for our columns, so I can’t give much of a report on the weather, as it won’t have happened yet. I am, as always, waiting...

Edgartown: Safety on the trails

Oh, how I miss the days when I was young, coordinated, and agile, with unceasing athleticism. Oh wait. I was never those things. And apparently, I’m still none of those things, although I do...

Chilmark: Library of Things

Oh September, so soon. School is back in session, and I hope all the new kids joining the Chilmark School community are having a great first week, as well as those Chilmark school-age kids...

Tisbury: Island traffic and noise

Heard on Main Street: Life isn't fair, but it's still good. Tonight at 6 pm, the Vineyard Haven library presents Frye Gaillard, co-author with Cynthia Tucker of the new book, “The Southernization of America: A...

Aquinnah: Sassafras Earth Education on PBS

The first day of school on the Island was this past Tuesday. Clyde Smith, who turned 18 last week, is a senior. Laina Benoit, Noah Manning, Yossi Monahan, Nahani Hyde, and Olive and Violet...

This Was Then: Pernambuco, Brazil

The Brazilian state of Pernambuco could be compared geographically to Massachusetts: a small, populous, Atlantic coastal state shaped like a rectangular(ish) slab, sporting 100 miles or so of Eastern coastline. Our Boston is their...

Dukes County Health Council: Working for your health

Imagine going to your doctor for a routine visit, and being advised to exercise more regularly to preserve your mobility and to improve your balance. Lately you’ve felt less steady on your feet, and...

Disobedience has its upside

(Note: I grew up living with my grandparents, Sadie and Elton Wood, and as more time goes by, the more I appreciate the years I spent with them. This is the only time I...

Cribbage Club results

The Vineyard Cribbage Club met with 20 members on Wednesday at the American Legion Hall in Edgartown. We played our usual six games against six different opponents, and here are the results: First place, Collin...

Leader – McCarthy

Elizabeth Clare Leader and Evan Patrick McCarthy were married on August 20, 2022, at John Henry Newman Chapel in Colorado Springs, Colo. The bride's parents are Daniel Leader and Sally Leader of Colorado Springs,...

Births

Eleanor Frances Gottlieb  Jaime and Michael Gottlieb of Oak Bluffs announce the birth of a daughter, Eleanor Frances Gottlieb, on Sept. 1, 2022, at Martha’s Vineyard Hospital. Eleanor weighed 7 pounds, 14 ounces. Montgomery H. Mueller Christa...