55Plus: Up-Island Council on Aging – August 2020

The Up-Island Council on Aging is excited to announce that we will be resuming some of our programming in the month of August! Meditation with Ed Merck will resume on Monday, August 3, from...

Calendar chronicles

It was a sparkling July afternoon, and Ronni Simon and I sat out next to the pool at her home tucked into the woods off Tabor House Road in Chilmark. We talked about how it...

Deadlines for Voter Activity

For state primary on Sept. 1: August 22, Saturday: Last day to register to vote for Sept. 1; go to to town website to get info on registering. August 26 at 5 pm, Wednesday: To submit...

Look inside

There is no better time to seek a little inner guidance than now. Beth Leas, who has been dedicated to transformative healing practices for decades, will present an interactive virtual experience with tarot cards...

Saudade: News from and for the Brazilian community/Notícias de e para a comunidade brasileira

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no final da versão em inglês As I do every year on graduation, I asked some Brazilian students to share their perspectives about their time in high school, future...

How to support Island nonprofits

The Martha’s Vineyard Nonprofit Collaborative (MVNC) has collected a list of critical unmet needs of Island nonprofits, hoping that the community will come together to give time and money so they can continue to...

Coming up at the West Tisbury library

At the West Tisbury library on Thursday, July 30, at 10 am, Heather Capece will lead an online Kids’ Pastel Class for ages 7 to 14. If you don’t have pastels at home, the...

Chilmark library hosts Thoreau talk and more

On Saturday, August 8, at 4 pm, the Chilmark library hosts a virtual talk, “Mind Prints: Arrowheads and Thoreau” with Duncan Caldwell. This virtual talk corresponds to the culminating lecture of a symposium titled...

Oak Bluffs: Schools releasing final plan

From all the news reports, I gather we must not let up on our vigilance to cease the spread of the coronavirus. The majority of people I see about in Oak Bluffs appear to...

Tisbury: Local foraging delights

Heard on Main Street: Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint, and he has to touch it. I am so happy when...

Edgartown: History talk at Fisher House

I’m sitting down to write this after spending the day floating on air. After all this time, I sort of thought that having an “official” high school graduation was unimportant. I mean, it’s been...

Births

David Mariyan Rumenov Eleonora Lazarova and Mariyan Rumenov of Vineyard Haven announce the birth of a son, David Mariyan Rumenov, on July 23, 2020, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. David weighed 7 pounds, 6.7 ounces.   Ava Joan...

Aquinnah: Pearls of summer

Happy August, everyone! That’s right, the month every Islander dreads begins on Saturday. This year has been so crazy that who knows what August will be like? Maybe it will be wonderful, maybe terrible;...

Chilmark: The art of return and restore

After leaving last Wednesday's Farmers Market and heading up Middle Road, I noticed four pink pigs running ahead of me along the side of the road, but clearly confused as to where home was....

West Tisbury: Edible zucchini blossoms

It rained last Wednesday morning, the most beautiful sound. I wish it would have continued all day, but it stopped, quickly soaking in, then leaving the ground dry again. I could have wept. This...

55Plus: Healthy Aging and IGI give garden kits to seniors

Healthy Aging Martha’s Vineyard (HAMV) and Island Grown Initiative (IGI) are delivering at-home gardening kits to seniors so they can grow their own fresh produce. HAMV executive director Cindy Trish was at IGI’s Farm Hub...

Dreams come true

The Martha’s Vineyard Community Services (MVCS) annual Possible Dreams auction went off without a hitch on Sunday night. Mary Korba, communications manager for MVCS, said that despite the change to an online format, the...

Pogue triplets excel at MVRHS

Throughout each of their unique and diverse careers at the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School (MVRHS), the Pogue triplets have regularly excelled in areas of interest they are most passionate about. And those passions will...

West Tisbury: Toward a simpler lifestyle

Hazy, hot, and humid weather continued through last week and the weekend. I had hopes for some rain, but nothing. Our abundant spring rains are long gone, and we are having our usual summer...

Tisbury: Mystery packages

Heard on Main Street: I actually wore a sweater last week. It was rather nice. This is July, right? The large numbers of cars and people crowding our Island make it hard to realize that...