Friday, October 30, 2020

Women’s right to vote

With the election coming up it might be easy to forget that women were barred from the vote until just a century ago. And while politics roils around us throughout the country, the Martha’s...

FCP Live-In announces director of nursing and educator

FCP Live-In, a full-service home care agency specializing in live-in home care, recently announced the appointment of Susan Sampson, RN, as their director of nursing. This new position is part of the expansion of...

Dispatch: Paris

From time to time, The Times will feature dispatches from Islanders around the globe. This week, Nicolas Ruderman writes again from Paris. Ruderman has spent his summers on East Chop since he was born...

Freemasons host an open house this weekend

The Oriental Martha's Vineyard Lodge, 52 Edgartown Vineyard Haven Rd. in Oak Bluffs, will host an open house on Saturday, Oct. 24, from 10 am until 2 pm. The Freemasons of Massachusetts invite the...

Births

Silas Kai Gibson Shane Laderoute and Tyler Gibson of Edgartown announce the birth of a son, Silas Kai Gibson, on Oct. 12, 2020, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Silas weighed 7 pounds, 3.7 ounces. Caleb Daniel Nicholson...

Fish go to school

You might think that the Martha’s Vineyard Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby is all about catching fish. But not so for Moira Silva and her fifth-grade son Owen and first grader Rye. Frustrated by...

Vineyard activism, then and now

The Martha’s Vineyard Museum is unveiling a new exhibit that explores the history of Island activism, going all the way back to 1820. “Making Change: Stories of Vineyard Activism” will connect the microcosm of local...

Have Faith: Flexibility is the key

When the coronavirus hit, many folks missed a lot more than visiting family and friends; they missed gathering with their church and synagogue family as well. Island faith communities learned how to pivot to...

Dogcharmer: Welcome to the family

Hi Tom! What's the best way for me to adopt a dog to have as a companion? I am a widow living alone. I’m in my 70s, and despite some health issues, am reasonably active...

On the calendar at the West Tisbury library

Jason Mazar-Kelly continues teaching an all-levels virtual Kripalu Flow Yoga Class via Zoom at the West Tisbury library on Friday, Oct. 16, at 8 am. Contact wt_mail@clamsnet.org to sign up. At 10:30 am, ballerina...

Howes House writers resume meetings

Beginning Wednesday, Oct, 21, and every Wednesday thereafter from 2 to 4 pm, the Howes House writers will convene again in person. The group will be hosted again by the Up-Island Council on Aging,...

Writing from the Heart: Lessons learned

The day after George Flloyd was murdered by cops, I drove by Beetlebunng Corner and saw my friend, Dana Nunes, standing holding a sign that read “Black Lives Matter.” I think I may have...

Births

Everett Arthur Healy Morning Star Healy and John J. Healy Jr. of Edgartown announce the birth of a son, Everett Arthur Healy, on Oct. 5, 2020, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Everett weighed 6 pounds, 6...

Academic honors

Graduation Mason Jeffers of Oak Bluffs, from Stonehill College. Andrew Fournier of Edgartown, from St. Lawrence University.

West Tisbury: Outdoor library services

What could be better than being ensconced on my sofa, a.k.a. my writing and reading spot? A window is open to a soft breeze blowing on my cheek. Fresh coffee and my Oxford English...

Tisbury: Upcoming Beach Road closure

Heard on Main Street: Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else. Watch large and small animals in the wild. Sally Naser will share her hobby with Wildlife Cams through Zoom from our...

Oak Bluffs: Community rock garden project

At last some rain on Monday last, that will hopefully bring a little green to those dried-up patches of grass that are everywhere. The most color along the roadsides now are the political signs...

Edgartown: School plans taking shape

I’m shocked that we find ourselves in the middle of October already. Life is flying by so fast. I’m not really complaining, given how challenging 2020 has been, but at the same time, I...

Chilmark: Autumn markets and activities

Monday's holiday is usually the turning point for season closures, but this is the year of nothing usual. Perfect weather meant Lucy Vincent Beach parking was filled, more Menemsha visitors, and on Sunday Creekville...

Aquinnah: Wampum jewelry and crafts

There was an interesting thread on the Facebook page, “Islanders Talk” over the weekend that I found helpful. It addressed non-Native people making jewelry and crafts with quahog shells and calling it “wampum.” Wampum...