Thursday, October 21, 2021

Cribbage Club results

The Vineyard Cribbage Club met on Oct. 6 at the American Legion Hall in Edgartown for another great week of cribbage. Twenty-three players participated, with the results as follows: Albert Whittier came in first with...

Nurturing through nature

Saskia and David Vanderhoop offer a valuable resource to the Island through their indigenous organization, Sassafras Earth Education, and its mission to connect people to nature and through that, to themselves and others. For...

Plant power

Emma Tobin knows her plants. Growing up around her family's business, Tea Lane Nursery, and spending her early days as an avid explorer of the natural world on the Vineyard, it's no surprise that...

West Tisbury: Harvest Festival

Roly-polies and mushrooms are the latest hot topic in West Tisbury. They are everywhere and seemingly in numbers and varieties worthy of note. Both are affected by the damp, rainy conditions which we have...

Tisbury: Library Building Fund

Heard on Main Street: The Goblins will get you if you don’t watch out. Don’t miss Fossil Day 2021 at the Tabernacle, a free educational event for all ages. Bring your own fossil to share...

Edgartown: Kids’ fitness program

This past weekend brought some much-needed warm temperatures and sunshine. A friend and I attempted to paddleboard in Sengie on Saturday but the wind was daunting. So we eventually threw in the towel and...

Chilmark: Menemsha Hills

Fall is official. The last ice cream was enjoyed at the Galley so we'll just have to begin the wait for spring. I am thankful for the mostly warm days, barefoot walks, sunrises running...

Aquinnah: Cranberry Day

Just one more holiday weekend to get through and then the season is officially over. Happy Indigenous Peoples’ Day weekend everyone. Let’s all take a deep inhale and exhale. We made it through a...

Condé Nast Traveler recognizes Nobnocket Boutique Inn

Condé Nast Traveler recently announced the results of its annual Readers’ Choice Awards, with Nobnocket Boutique Inn in Vineyard Haven ranked as the #16 hotel in the Northeast. More than 800,000 Condé Nast Traveler...

Martha’s Vineyard Museum hosts Appraisal Day with Skinner Inc.

Skinner Auction House is coming back to the museum for another day of exciting appraisals on Saturday, Oct. 23, from 9 am to 3 pm. According to a press release from the museum, items...

Births

Sofia Kay Martino Laura Martino and Dan Martino of Oak Bluffs announce the birth of a daughter, Sofia Kay Martino, on Sept. 30, 2021, at Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Sofia weighed 6 pounds, 6 ounces, and...

Academic honors

Graduation Finnegan Simpkins of Vineyard Haven, from Colgate University.

Saudade: News from and for the Brazilian community/Notícias de e para a comunidade brasileira

When Pfizer updated its timeline for vaccines for children 11 and under — it was as if you could hear a sigh of collective relief from parents worldwide — there is hope on the...

Cribbage Club results

Twenty-six members of the Vineyard Cribbage Club met at the American Legion Hall in Edgartown for a fun night of cribbage on Wednesday, Sept. 29. The results are as follows: George Giosmas came in first...

This Was Then: T. M. Silvia

Theophilus Miguel “T. M.” Silvia was born in 1877 on Ilha de São Nicolau, a mountainous island in the Republic of Cabo Verde, the volcanic archipelago nation off the coast of West Africa known...

Island Autism hosts special needs planning webinar

Island Autism hosts an informational webinar on Special Needs Planning with attorney Fred Misilo, chair of the trust and estate department of Fletcher Tilton, a regional law firm with offices in Boston, Framingham, Providence,...

Taking action

There is some dynamic news for anyone who has fallen, or is wary of doing so. Healthy Aging Martha's Vineyard (HAMV), which is a planning and advocacy organization, initiated a task force in 2013...

Have Faith: Music moves us

I made my first trip to the First Baptist Church in Vineyard Haven last Friday night to listen to some Christian music. What a beautiful building. The wooden beams were amazing and the acoustics...

Keeping fit and focused

The YMCA of Martha’s Vineyard provides much more than the pool and exercise room. While the pandemic closed them down initially, it turned out to be a catalyst for many changes that have expanded...

Dogcharmer: Stair-crazy

Hi, Mr. Shelby: I recently adopted a sweet little 9-year-old Yorkie named Abbey from Susquehanna SPCA. She speeds up my front and back porch steps with no problem, but refuses to climb the 15 steps...
>