Friday, May 20, 2022

Dogcharmer: My dog was attacked by another dog

Hello,   I have a situation my friend said you might be able to help me with. My dog was attacked by a large pit bull. I’m wondering if he’ll ever get over it.  Thank you, Mary Ann Dear...

Edgartown: Little bits of normalcy

The calendar says mid-May. I know it does. But this weather? It has winter written all over it. What is with this wind and chill in the air? It’s got me all mixed up...

Faith and Climate Change: What is your view?

By Mardi Moran Mardi Moran is a member of both Grace Episcopal Church and the Martha's Vineyard Hebrew Center. She is part of the Interfaith Climate Action Team's writers committee, and in this column she...

Oak Bluffs: Flower Supermoon

“I’ve never seen a moon in the sky that, if it didn’t take my breath away, at least misplaced it for a moment.”  –Colin Farrell The May full moon is known as “the Flower Moon,”...

Second Acts

Is it something in the air we breathe? Or the light that shines here? Is it literally being an island, floating freely away from the constraints of the mainland? Is there something that is...

West Tisbury: Dear Zeke

May flowers. May apples. Shadbush. Every day brings something new. That’s the magic of this time of year, and it all happens so quickly, seemingly overnight.  Harriet Bernstein’s cherry trees that I mentioned last week...

Tisbury: A phenomenal upset

Heard on Main Street: When in doubt, just take the next small step. I can’t believe I missed the Kentucky Derby this year. A phenomenal upset, with a horse carrying odds of 80 to 1...

Chilmark: Slow Down for Stella

You could construe Middle Road just north of town hall as a massive construction zone with a mountain of dirt rising from Beetlebung Farm, as tall as nearby trees, while just west of the...

Visiting Vet: The cat and the carrier

It’s one of life’s little mysteries — the fact that cats love to explore, investigating every tiny hidey-hole they can find, crawling inside paper bags, sleeping in cardboard boxes, but try to put a...

Planting seeds

The encompassing, floor-to-ceiling wall photograph of the sanctuary of the first Martha’s Vineyard Hebrew Center warmly embraces us as we walk into “They Planted the Seeds: Creating Jewish Community on Martha's Vineyard.” The exhibition...

The Write Prescription: Taking turns

I hear the Tinkerbell melody of the washing machine down in the basement. This is the second load of laundry my husband is doing today. Two years ago, he couldn’t have told you where...

Brazilian Voices: A letter to my fellow Brazilians

Editor’s note: This new Brazilian Voices series was developed and is curated by longtime Brazilian columnist Juliana Germani.  When I reflect on our Brazilian community on Martha’s Vineyard, I am filled with emotion. I feel...

On My Way: Biking Pennywise Path

I had wanted to be back in the saddle for some time. It had been a few months. Usually, a few times over the winter on a Sunday afternoon, I bundle up and set...

Academic honors

Dean’s list Meghan Sawyer of Edgartown, at Colgate University. Cum Laude graduates Alana Morris of Edgartown, at The University of Tampa.

Charlotte Inn achieves Forbes recognition

The Charlotte Inn in Edgartown has been named a four-star hotel in the Forbes Travel Guide’s 2022 Star Awards. The travel guide is a world-renowned authority and the only global rating system for luxury hotels,...

Ring in spring with the Garden Club

Now that spring has finally arrived on-Island, the Martha’s Vineyard Garden Club is blooming with exciting happenings that the community can take part in. Club member Andrea Rogers will kick off the season of programs...

MVY Radio ‘Night Out for Nonprofits’

MVY Radio is hosting the second annual Night Out for Nonprofits at the P.A. Club in Oak Bluffs on Saturday, May 7.  The event was first held in 2019, and celebrates organizations and people who...

Aquinnah: I was reminded why I live here

I know that I complain a fair amount about the quiet winters here, and especially the winter weather. Usually at some point in April, when it drops down to 32° and there’s a chance...

Poet’s Corner

O' to be Bear By Jonathan Burke O' to be Bear live in land where rivers begin mountains fill sky thundering land of song nature's might land of Bear. O' to be Bear so joyful summer grass lush thick green snowy air plump scents wonderful mouthfuls sweet blueberry. O' to be...