Thursday, March 28, 2024
Home Islander Essays Brazilian Voices

Brazilian Voices

Brazucada!

The word is brazucada. It comes from “brazuca” in Portuguese which is slang for “Brazilian.” When you have a large crowd of Brazilians all in one place — like we increasingly do here on Martha’s...

Brazilian Voices: Barbara De Paula

Editor’s note: This new Brazilian Voices series was developed and is curated by longtime Brazilian columnist Juliana Germani.  In 2008, my parents and I immigrated to Martha's Vineyard from São Paulo, Brazil. After getting settled,...

Brazilian Voices: A letter to my fellow Brazilians

Editor’s note: This new Brazilian Voices series was developed and is curated by longtime Brazilian columnist Juliana Germani.  When I reflect on our Brazilian community on Martha’s Vineyard, I am filled with emotion. I feel...

Saudade: News from and for the Brazilian community/Notícias de e para a comunidade brasileira

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no final da versão em inglês  Lately, I've become curious about how people have changed their lives in the last 20 months. The change for me is that I...

Saudade: News from and for the Brazilian community/Notícias de e para a comunidade brasileira

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no final da versão em inglês This week's column is about Dayana Duncheva — she is a paraprofessional for MVYPS Bridge Program.  How did you get to the Island? Where...

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no nosso site: mvtimes.com/category/portuguese—translation/. The Martha’s Vineyard Hospital opened another round of Pfizer booster appointments this past Friday. The third dose/booster shot appointments can be scheduled through the hospital’s online...

When Pfizer updated its timeline for vaccines for children 11 and under — it was as if you could hear a sigh of collective relief from parents worldwide — there is hope on the...

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no final da versão em inglês This week's column is about André Pereira Evangelista (40). This past weekend, André won a wrestling championship in Orlando, Fla. — one of...

As it is back-to-school week, I am writing about a Martha's Vineyard Regional High School incoming senior, Keissila Cecilio, and her internship with the Martha's Vineyard Commission. Tell us a bit about what you did...

This week 's column is about the first undocumented student to receive a full scholarship through MVYouth — Larissa de Oliveira. I am honored that Larissa has chosen to share her story as I...

This column is about Island Food Pantry volunteer Natalia Ribeiro — my first Brazilian Faces ever since the pandemic started. The definition of who experiences food insecurity has changed since COVID began; food insecurity...

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no nosso site: mvtimes.com/category/portuguese—translation/. I thought the next time I'd write about COVID-19, it would be in more of a celebratory tone. Brazil is picking up on vaccination —...

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no nosso site: mvtimes.com/category/portuguese—translation/. What is the Child Tax Credit? This week's column is another opportunity to discuss the Child Tax Credit, which starts this week on Thursday, July 15....

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no nosso site: mvtimes.com/category/portuguese—translation/. Child Tax Big news, starting July 15, all working families in the U.S. will receive up to $300 per child every month until December of 2021....

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no nosso site: mvtimes.com/category/portuguese—translation/. This week I would like to invite everyone to watch Lin-Manuel Miranda's “Into the Heights” movie — a compelling story of the Latin immigrant community....

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no nosso site: mvtimes.com/category/portuguese—translation/. What a different start to the summer season we all had this year — and what a relief. On May 29, mask rules in Massachusetts...

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no nosso site: mvtimes.com/category/portuguese—translation/. What a different May we have this year — I am so grateful for a new experience as we head into our busiest season on...

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no nosso site: mvtimes.com/category/portuguese—translation/. May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and in my columns for this month I will be discussing the topic as it pertains to the Brazilian...

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no final da versão em inglês As of April 19, everyone who is 16 years or older is eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine in the United States; the vaccines...

A tradução deste artigo se encontra no final da versão em inglês The people featured in this photo gallery are Brazilian Islanders who have qualified to take the vaccine prior to April 19, when everyone...